Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Challenge!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New Challenge!

Well, I decided to make a break from the same-old, same-old! I was hunting a 500 acre lease with 5 members and have been killing deer, just not the quality that I'd like. Being as it was only 500 acres, I knew the place pretty well in the first year. My choices were: stick with what I know, a "meat lease," or bail off into new territory!
I decided to go with something new! Now I am on a 6600 acre lease with 60 others. (I know that to some that might be crowded but, in East Texas a good rule of thumb is 100 acres per gun.)
The largest area I've ever hunted was about 2000 acres, so this place is really huge to me!
There are many different terrains on this place. Clear cuts, creek bottoms, swamps and rolling hills. I know this is going to be a challenge that I have not had in many years but, there should be some big deer in there.
I know I won't be able to learn this place for at least a couple of seasons, but I am excited at the chance and challenge to hunt "big woods" and "river bottom" deer again!
I have already noticed that not many members are hunting the swamp areas, near the river. I think that deserves a little investigation! What do you think?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Challenge!

Sounds good to me, sounds like you already know where a lot of the other hunter are hunting. I too am from Texas and have looked at some of those big timber leases, sounds like a good deal, one thing to rememberis a lot of those guys aren't going to be serious hunters which can be a good thing for you, they can push the deer to you....Where isthe leaseat????? Just curious,I live in the Conroe/Montgomery area in the state forest. I don't hunt it but my family has land in East Texas, north east ofCentervillethat I have been bowhunting for 12-15 years......Good Luck with it...
Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

I joined a 6k acres club last year.. I still aint see half of it..
Old 05-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

good luck part of the field on the one farm i hunt is usually swamp have had good luck there here in south central pa im sure much different then in the lone star state. but good luck for sure concrats thats alot of land sounds awesome let us know how you do!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

OilPatchPride, this land is located on the west side of the Neches River, north of Dam B (Steinhegin Lake.) sp?
I don't know what it will produce, but all indications are good! Most places I've hunted, I have been able to learn in less than a year. This one looks like a 2-4 year learning experience! One advantage that I have is that one of my friends has been hunting there for 18 years, so he can get me off to a good start!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Google Earth is your friend.