Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Decisions, Decisions--need reccomendations >

Decisions, Decisions--need reccomendations

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Decisions, Decisions--need reccomendations

Old 10-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Decisions, Decisions--need reccomendations

Hello all,

I'm a regular member at HNI but don't post too much in this forum. I just sold a regular rifle and have been considering buying a M/L. I currently have an old hawken that I've shot a couple of deer with (at fairly close ranges), but am looking for something that I can put a fixed power scope on and would feel confident with at longer ranges--one of the newer inline types. I don't want to blow the whole wad on one and was looking at the $250.00-300.00 dollar range.

Can I find one with good accuracy and fairly well made for that price??

Is there a noticeable difference between blue and SS barrels when it comes to clean-up?? (I'm partial to blue barrels myself)

I want something I can load 150gr of powder in I guess.

I was thinking of the NEW remington genesis, CVA optima, or even a traditons brand.

I'm sure like in every other forum, I may get a wide variety of opinions but was wondering if there is something that most would reccommend as reliable, accurate, and easy to maintain. If there is something besides what I mentioned, let me hear it. The only thing is I would prefer one that does not need a special "priming tool". Thanks in advance. I'll check back regularly.
hb
Old 10-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Decisions, Decisions--need reccomendations

hillbillyhunter1 - there are a lot of differnent rifles out there. I personally would search some of the gun auction sites. The reason I say this is the other day there was a fellow selling Knight Wolverine LK-II light weights for $85.00 NIB. I'd of bought one, but already own one. (I still almost bought one).

I would not be afraid of the old striker action or bolt action rifles when it comes to rifles. Granted they might not clean up as fast as the new break open or drop block, but they are every bit as accurate as any of the new rifles on the market and can be obtained for a real reasonable price. Also the #11 ignitions are real dependable, but you might not want to shoot pellets with them.

If a Remington Genesis is what you want, then by all means get one. Get the rifle YOU want. Most of the inlines on the market today will (if scoped) shoot real well once the rifle load is discovered.