Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Looking for a new Deer Rifle... >

Looking for a new Deer Rifle...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking for a new Deer Rifle...

Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Default Looking for a new Deer Rifle...

hey everyone... I'm looking for a new deer rifle and i've narrowed it down to the fact that i want a lever action... either a Marlin 336 or the 30AS both i heard are comparable but the 30AS is cheaper... any suggestions? especially from owners of either the rifles, thanks a lot and look forward to any advice (other rifle suggestions definitely welcome as long as they're lever actions)
Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Default RE: Looking for a new Deer Rifle...

lever actions are fun, but no replacement for a bolt action imo. i own a marlin 33630-30 and love it though. its a great brush gun and can handle goin through some rough stuff. the weight is nice as it isnt too heavy to tromp through the woods but isnt so light you feel like you have to baby the thing. shoots great imo. i wouldnt put a scope on it though. my roomate put a scope on his (bought one after i did)and foundit more difficult to judge how he should aim in open shots and different elevations
Old 04-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have a Marlin 336 and believe that is is better quality than my winchester lever. Great gun for the heavy stuff but for working the fields and long tree lines I prefer a bolt action with a faster round. I'm not saying a 30-30 can not kill at 200 yards but there are times I may be looking at that 300 yard plus shot. That is just the hunting situations I usually hunt. For these I will use my 7mm mag, .270 or my 7-08. My suggestion is to determine what is the hunting situation you will be hunting most and then design the rig that will best suit your application. It my be a lever or may not. If you can provide some more detailed info then I sure you will get more informed responses than just opinion.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 PM

whitetail makes a good point- you want your gun to fit the conditions your are hunting. i usually take my .270 if im taking long shots or hunting fields and 12ga or .30-.30if im hunting thick brush with close shots. the other guns are mainly for fun
Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

frankthetank:

First deer I ever shot was with a 336/35 rem topped with a straight 6X scope.I borrowed it for a deer hunting trip when I was 15 years old. The deer dropped like a sack of wheat.That was a long time ago.

I have a bolt action 270 and a pump 308 carbine and both are excellent shooters.The rifle that I'm going use this coming deer season? A newly aquired Marlin 336C in 30-30. It's topped with a 3x9x40 scope, and it's fun to shoot. It shoulders and balances well for me. You can stretch the range of the rifle using Leverevolution ammunition.