Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Please help - I am looking to get a new deer rifle for mule deer and antelope- >

Please help - I am looking to get a new deer rifle for mule deer and antelope-

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Please help - I am looking to get a new deer rifle for mule deer and antelope-

Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 AM

Default Please help - I am looking to get a new deer rifle for mule deer and antelope-

I am looking to get a new deer rifle to use in Wyoming for Mule Deer, Antelope and Whitetails. My dad was there this year and used his .270 to kill a mule deer and antelope at 200 to 300 yards. I have a .270 that I use for whitetails here in PA, but I am thinking about getting another rifle. I really like the .270 caliber, but I was wondering if I should get something a little bigger for the longer shots. Any recommendations on a caliber? I would also like to use the new gun for whitetails here in PA as well. thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Please help - I am looking to get a new deer rifle for mule deer and antelope-

a .270 will be effective downrange as far as most of us need to shoot (out to 400 yds). I shoot a .270 WSM and the ballistics are a little better than the .270, but I think it may be a little overkill. The big magnums will have better knockdown at distance, but the average guy will tend to be bothered by the recoil enough for it to affect their accuracy. And accuracy is the most important factor when shooting longer distances. If you can handle a 300 WM, then shoot it. Getting familiar with your .270 and how it shoots downrange will produce just as well, as long as you are comfortable with it.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Spike

Default RE: Please help - I am looking to get a new deer rifle for mule deer and antelope-

I agree with bigangry. Your .270 should do the job for you as long as you understand it's ballistics. The 300 Mag is a great gun with lots of pop, but as he said be ready for some serious recoil.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use your money for something else you might need like a good backpack, binoculars, membership to a gym, and use your .270.
If you really just want a new rifle, a .300wsm would work very nicely and they don't kick like a .300 win mag.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I certainly am not an expert on hunting mule deer. I have been onlyfour times. From that limited expereince, unless you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle, your 270 Win. is plenty good. Not sure what type of terrain you will be hunting. I hunted in eastern Montana exclusively. Very wide open. I practiced a bunch at 300 and 400 yards, however my 4 shots (one on each trip) were about 85 yards, 125 yards, 325 yards and 200 yards.I used a 308 Win. on 3 of those trips and a 300 Win. Mag. on the other.

My 3 buddies that went with me, ironically, were all using rifles in a 270 Win. One dropped his buck at about 225 and the other at about 325. The other lost patience and decided to burn his "deer tag" on a fair 10 pt. white tail. Neither mule deer buck went out of sight.

I would suggest you use a quality, conrolled expansion bullet. A 130 gr. Partition for example would do fine.

To echo "Handles", if you have the extra $$$ for a new rifle/scope combo and decide to froe go a new rifle,and do not now have high quality binos, I would spend that $$$ on glass.I did just that after the first trip out and all the $$$ I spent, that was the bestmove I made.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with everyone else the 270 has the pwer to handle deer out past 700 yards if you practice enough. If you just want a new biggergun I can't argue with that (300 wby on the way) look at a 270WSM or a 7 mm Mag.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mojotex

I would suggest you use a quality, conrolled expansion bullet. A 130 gr. Partition for example would do fine.
I use a 130 grain Hornady interbond in a light magnum round (in .270 caliber) for my long range white-tail shooting. Zeroed at 200 yards, it only has a 5" drop at 300 yards and a 16.5" drop at 400 yards while retaining 1671 lb of energy. When I eventually start mule deer hunting, this is the round I'll use
Old 11-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

7MAG
Old 11-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would stick with the .270 but if you wanted something bigger go with the .308
Old 11-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

I use a 7mm rem mag you wont regret getting one.

Quick Reply: Please help - I am looking to get a new deer rifle for mule deer and antelope-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.