Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where are the Benoits?

Old 03-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Bartender

Default RE: Where are the Benoits?

I had a gut feeling something was not right about these gents.How you been Dan?
ORIGINAL: _Dan

I think you guys need to take a serious look at their videos and see how unethical these guys are. To advocate making deer run before you shoot at them to "make deer hunting more challenging" Or to take 4 shots at a running buck after you bent your sight....."I had to compensate because I fell and bent my sight while tracking this buck."

Sorry guys, but they are extremely unethical and the last people I would call "the greatest deer hunters in North America." These guys are laughable.

Its pretty bad when a game warden tells me they have to keep an eye on them.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where are they? Where they've always been, in VT spending the fall hunting. I think what happened is they "tried" the go the show and seminar etc route and didn't like it. I went to a seminar they did and they just seem like backwoods boys who just love hunting, they didn't seem comfortable talking infront of groups of people. They aren't the "polished" presenters etc that some are in the industry.

As for the ethics? Well much of that probably is rooted in jealousy. About the only "story" I've heard is the "must" mistake and shoot does, but no proof.

I've seen two of the videos and in all honestly, thought they were a waste of money. Due to the way they hunt its almost impossible to show the deer they are about to shoot. You see them tracking thorugh the woods, you MIGHT see a flash of brown, then "bang" hunt over. You then see the dead deer. Not all that fun to watch, at least in my opinion. they ARE a riot to talk to 1 on 1 though.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they arent using the ol faithful pumps now then lemme guess.... they are using some kind of T/C Encore or Pro Hunter?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

Until you have hunted the big woods ofMaine, NH, etc., and produce like they do I don't thinkyou havethe right to criticize.

And simply stating that I heard they game wardens have to keep an eye on them w/o proof is to quote T.O, "It's Just Not Fair."
If the first was directed at me, believe me, I have the right to criticize.

I never said I "heard" the game wardens have to keep an eye on them, a game warden told me that themself.

Its funny, only JoeRE answered my question about myexamples. Funny no one else will.

Benoits=unethical.....period.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: peakrut

I had a gut feeling something was not right about these gents.How you been Dan?

I think you guys need to take a serious look at their videos and see how unethical these guys are. To advocate making deer run before you shoot at them to "make deer hunting more challenging" Or to take 4 shots at a running buck after you bent your sight....."I had to compensate because I fell and bent my sight while tracking this buck."

Sorry guys, but they are extremely unethical and the last people I would call "the greatest deer hunters in North America." These guys are laughable.

Hey Tony, I've been great.....just busy as hell doing sportshows, ice fishing in Canada and getting ready for the busy summer at camp.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

So taking a shot at a running buck is unethical you say..... That statement is laughable. Do you understand that you just called a good majority of all gun hunters(heck...even some bow hunters) across the US unethical as thousands of hunters do it every season. Guys that run deer with dogs...deer drives which is probably legal in more states than it's not. Think all of these folks take shots at standing deer the majority of the time? LOL All of this is just you pushing your beliefs/thoughts on others. Nothing to do with the Benoits.

As far as "A" game warden telling you that they "have to keep an eye on them", laughable as well. Complete hearsay. I'm sure game wardens "keep an eye" on a lot of people every year. Unless they are charged for something, they have done nothing wrong. You know...that whole innocent before guilty thing. LOL
Old 03-06-2008, 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Xtec Shooter

So taking a shot at a running buck is unethical you say..... That statement is laughable. Do you understand that you just called a good majority of all gun hunters(heck...even some bow hunters) across the US unethical as thousands of hunters do it every season. Guys that run deer with dogs...deer drives which is probably legal in more states than it's not. Think all of these folks take shots at standing deer the majority of the time? LOL All of this is just you pushing your beliefs/thoughts on others. Nothing to do with the Benoits.

As far as "A" game warden telling you that they "have to keep an eye on them", laughable as well. Complete hearsay. I'm sure game wardens "keep an eye" on a lot of people every year. Unless they are charged for something, they have done nothing wrong. You know...that whole innocent before guilty thing. LOL

Xtec.....I like you, but you and others need to read a little slower and closer.

First, I never said taking a shot at a running buck is unethical. If you can do it and make a good shot, great, I have. Here's the MAJOR part you missed, as well as others.........

To advocate making deer run before you shoot at them to "make deer hunting more challenging" Or to take 4 shots at a running buck after you bent your sight....."I had to compensate because I fell and bent my sight while tracking this buck."
If you seriously think those two examples are ethical, you would not be welcome in my camp. Seriously, knowing you bent your sight and then trying to compensate while taking 4 shots at a running deer......KNOWING YOUR GUN IS OFF.....that's ethical? [&:]

Here we go, back to the game warden incident......hearsay? Right from the wardens mouth? You can take that how ever you want, I know the wardens in the area well and I don't take what they say lightly.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Xtec.....I like you, but you and others need to read a little slower and closer.

First, I never said taking a shot at a running buck is unethical. If you can do it and make a good shot, great, I have. Here's the MAJOR part you missed, as well as others.........

To advocate making deer run before you shoot at them to "make deer hunting more challenging" Or to take 4 shots at a running buck after you bent your sight....."I had to compensate because I fell and bent my sight while tracking this buck."
If you seriously think those two examples are ethical, you would not be welcome in my camp. Seriously, knowing you bent your sight and then trying to compensate while taking 4 shots at a running deer......KNOWING YOUR GUN IS OFF.....that's ethical? [&:]

Here we go, back to the game warden incident......hearsay? Right from the wardens mouth? You can take that how ever you want, I know the wardens in the area well and I don't take what they say lightly.
Fair enough and my bad. But still....part of my point stands, of course from the outside looking in. I have seen a large amount of their shows and I don't get the impression nor have I seen them intentionally do the things you say. But again, watching their hunting shows is what I know of them. If they do what you said on a consistant basis, then I would agree with you whole heartedly. We ALL have skeletans in the closet and I'm sure one point in time the "unethical" tag would be slapped on all of us for something.

I love watching the Benoits and here's why....

They(at least from the surface and TV) seem to be good old boys. They don't look or act like they have more money than God and that it flows out of every hole in their body. A guy looks at the land they hunt and you have the feeling that you could hunt their too, so you can relate with them. Most of the shows today, the guys are hunting on such prime land through out the Midwest that at least I know unless I shelled out 5K+, there is no way I'm ever hunting that type of unpressured ground. I don't have to watch 86 ads per half hour show about scentblocker, mossy oak, bad boy buggies, antler king, mathews, etc.., etc.., etc.., etc... It gets old. But I suppose not too much anymore, gotta love TIVO so I can fast forward through it all. LOL
Old 03-06-2008, 03:13 PM

I wonder how many remington pumps and autos have been sold over the years because of the Benoits. Millions, no doubt. I wonder if they ever made any money off of that. I was even on the bandwagon for a few years, but eventually I realized that I was carrying around a fence post with a crappy trigger. I guess you can't argue with success though, lotta deer been shot with em.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have met the Benoits and read all their books,I have seen one of their video's.I have the highest respect for any hunter who can consistently track and kill big bucks! It is in my opinion the most difficult form of rifle huntingthere is.
I do agree with Dan though.It was the video that I saw when Lanny spoke about purposely getting a buck running to increase the challenge.I immediately lost respect for him! To do something like that is total BS and shows no regard for the animal.
Knowingly hunting with a rifle that is off is equally as irresponsible! Terrible behavior!