Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck shots ethical????

Old 02-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Neck shots ethical????

ORIGINAL: djschuett

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

Oh come on, whoever said a neck shot aint ethical is a total idiot. I've shot many deer in the neck and I have never had a single one take another breath. Shooting one in the heart or lungs, you know there's a good chance they're gonna run a little bit. That's more unethical than shooting one and it dying instantly. All neck shots I've taken resulted in instant death the minute the bullet hit the skin.
Now I know you're exaggerating. Even if you sever both Carotid arteries, an animal still has enough blood to take multiple more breaths.
There is a lot of dead space aka non-lethal injury space in the neck, namely the trachea region anteriorly and inferiorly. You hit a deer there, it will run for hours and eventually die of pneumonia weeks later.
exaggerating about what, not speaking for him but I have killed 70 or so deer with a neck shot and not one has ever taken a step after the shot. Never !
Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen a lot of neck shots take down deer I think it is a real ethical shot IMO.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 PM

Back to the neck controversy. Stan Potts' shot on the HS video started this up a long time ago. I'll give you my stance on it. I would have taken his shot. With the right equipment and shooting competency, head-on and or quartering toward shots are as lethal as they come with gun and bow. I have shot several head-on/quarter toward. None made it over 100 yards. Today's equipment is so much different than it was when I started out.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

Oh come on, whoever said a neck shot aint ethical is a total idiot. I've shot many deer in the neck and I have never had a single one take another breath. Shooting one in the heart or lungs, you know there's a good chance they're gonna run a little bit. That's more unethical than shooting one and it dying instantly. All neck shots I've taken resulted in instant death the minute the bullet hit the skin.
Now I know you're exaggerating. Even if you sever both Carotid arteries, an animal still has enough blood to take multiple more breaths.
There is a lot of dead space aka non-lethal injury space in the neck, namely the trachea region anteriorly and inferiorly. You hit a deer there, it will run for hours and eventually die of pneumonia weeks later.
exaggerating about what, not speaking for him but I have killed 70 or so deer with a neck shot and not one has ever taken a step after the shot. Never !
Exaggerating about the bolded part of not taking another breath.

You're telling me that not one of the 70 deer you've neck shot has even taken a stumbling step before falling down? Me thinks your memory is only as accurate as you want it to be.

If you can kill 100% of deer you shoot at with a neck shot, it may be an ethical shot for you. My knowledge of anatomy does not allow me that level of confidence.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exaggerating about the bolded part of not taking another breath.

You're telling me that not one of the 70 deer you've neck shot has even taken a stumbling step before falling down? Me thinks your memory is only as accurate as you want it to be.

If you can kill 100% of deer you shoot at with a neck shot, it may be an ethical shot for you. My knowledge of anatomy does not allow me that level of confidence.
No they have never taken a stumbling step, their legs come right out from them, like they've been hit by lightning, I have seen them kick a few second on the ground though, dont know how they can kick with a 3 inch hole through the neck, spinal cord is completely severed, and yes 100% on neck shots. Even with my .22 hornet. I promise to get video on my next hornet kill.
We have axis year round hunting, I'll see what I can do.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a neck shot is fine... Personally I prefer to aim at the vitals, which I feel presents a larger target. Also, usually if I'm shooting at a buck, I don't want to shoot him in the neck and mess up the cape...
Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

My aunt took this one with a neck shot. She said he was walking straight at her and she didn't think she could get a broadside shot before he busted her, so she took what she had. I know for a fact she's killed another nice buck with the same shot, and she said both of them raired back on their hind legs and fell over within a few yards of the shot.

You can see the shot, kind of a white spot on the left side of the neck.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Fork Horn

I made a bad neck shot once from the amazing range of three feet. The slug went right through the windpipe as the crippled deer lunged just as I shot. It took me two shots from three feet! I gues I would not do it if I had a broadside. It is harder for thedeer to get the heart and lungs out of the way.

Bob

P.S. No, I do not think it unethical. I can see times where I might take that shot at close range on a calm deer when the chest is blocked.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since we are calling BS, I would like to call BS to "ethics" topics on this message board. Anyone who wants to sound high and mighty just starts thowing around the term "ethics". It has really become a joke and to me has been degraded.

That said, if I am presented a "sure thing" neck shot, I am going to take it, but if a heart/lung shot is more practical, then I am taking the shot that will put the deer on the ground.

I don't go hunting for "ethics". I hunt for deer and use the most humane and legal means to bring one home.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

I like to shootat thebase of the neck when the shot presents itself. I've seen too many shoulder shots ruin both front quarters, and they were shooting at the ribs. If you know your rifle and are capable of making a neck shot, then that's the best shot, IMO to take.they do literally die on their feet. I'm talking with a Rifle, my shotgun is a different story, Myself I would shoot em in the ribs with my slug gun.

Quick Reply: Neck shots ethical????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.