Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How important is deer hunting in your area. >

How important is deer hunting in your area.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How important is deer hunting in your area.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Spike

Default RE: How important is deer hunting in your area.

You said it, it's a Holiday! LOL! Yep my highschool excused us if or parents signed a form.I take my work vacation that time every year.Some places even close for business during season too.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's like a holiday in the entire State of WV. Where I grew up the first week of buck season fell on the week of Thanksgiving. There were so many kinds out year after year, they get the entire week off now.

It really is a big deal here.........one of the many reasons I love this state!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:35 PM

It's pretty important in Michigan/Ohio. I used to work at a foundry in Ohio and opening day of gun season ended up being made a floating holiday. We had about 50 people on day shift I think (almost all men) and one year only 10 people showed up for work on opening day of gun season[]. After that they just made it a floating holiday.

Then here in MI at the factory I worked at before this one (Tecumseh Products) They actually shut down for the first week of gun season. We had over 800 people working there and when deer season rolled around there were not enough people left to run production on all the lines. So they shut down for the most part and take volunteers to run a couple lines for a week.

The place I work at now cuts us no slack for hunting, and we really don't have a lot of people that hunt surprisingly. Most just take vacation for hunting season.

Paul
Old 01-31-2008, 06:26 PM

School is out the whole first week Thanksgiving week. At work we usually have about 85-100 people off for vaction (thats all they will approve) and another 100 or so call in sick the first two days. They always work the saturday before the opener cause they know noboby will be there monday.