Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How important is deer hunting in your area. >

How important is deer hunting in your area.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How important is deer hunting in your area.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How important is deer hunting in your area.

I am a youth pastor and several of my student are like me a love to hunt. Well one of the girls said that her school had over 200 notes from parents saying their child wouldn't be at school today. The reason being today is the last day of deer season. Since over 25% of the school was saying they weren't going to be there the principal went ahead and canceled roll call.

So how important is deer hunting in your town?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How important is deer hunting in your area.

Growing up in the sixties and late seventies it was pretty important where I grew up in South Arkansas. The deer season was only a week, with another couple of days after Thanksgiving thrown in. Almost every boy of hunting age was out of schoolthe first day of the season.

It is pretty important now in that area. You walk into the local Wal Mart and half the people are in camo. Forestry companies make good money of leasing land. Hunting probably supports a good part of the economy, also.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

important enough that we dont have school on the opener...its the first Monday after Thanksgiving...so they just extend Thanksgiving break.

i dont even get that off for college!

funny, i remember one year they did have school on the opener..not sure why..maybe we were running low on "snow days" or they just wanted to see what happened...they said it was like a ghost school...they didnt do that again...

ahhh the joys of highschool....1 more year of college and i still kinda miss highschool...what a joke it was lol...it was a rare day if i was there, on time, and awake. hear they got REALLY strict on all that since my time not long ago lol...alot of years id miss a week for spring gobbler and trout fishing and another week in deer season....plus all the other days inbetween...that was BEFORE i could drive lol...

giving highschool kids driving license is what kills attendance...if i didnt have a car, i wouldnt had to work and i wouldnt been tired and sleeping in class...and i wouldnt had to skip so much school to hunt because i could hunted after school instead of work...and without the car, skipping is a little harder...and leaving early is real hard...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not important at all. I remember my first time deer hunting on opening day in 1970. I needed an excuse as why I was going to be absent, my mother wouldn't write it so my dad did. Well the school/principal/vice principle, wasn't going to except it as a reason for me to be out. That is till my dad who was at that time a selfemployed contractor orig. from Norway. went in and had a so called heart to heart. No problems with me taking off.Man he could always make my knees shake just by him gritting his teeth. You knew he was mad then.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

our schools always cancelled opening day of shotgun season....well they did 8 yrs ago...not for sure anymore
Old 01-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I guess we aren't the biggest redneck's in the country. Just Kidding.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in Pope County Illinois, they close the schools for the first Illinois deer season.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

important enough that we dont have school on the opener...its the first Monday after Thanksgiving...so they just extend Thanksgiving break.

i dont even get that off for college!

funny, i remember one year they did have school on the opener..not sure why..maybe we were running low on "snow days" or they just wanted to see what happened...they said it was like a ghost school...they didnt do that again...

ahhh the joys of highschool....1 more year of college and i still kinda miss highschool...what a joke it was lol...it was a rare day if i was there, on time, and awake. hear they got REALLY strict on all that since my time not long ago lol...alot of years id miss a week for spring gobbler and trout fishing and another week in deer season....plus all the other days inbetween...that was BEFORE i could drive lol...

giving highschool kids driving license is what kills attendance...if i didnt have a car, i wouldnt had to work and i wouldnt been tired and sleeping in class...and i wouldnt had to skip so much school to hunt because i could hunted after school instead of work...and without the car, skipping is a little harder...and leaving early is real hard...
I hear ya on that. Highschool was the biggest joke ever. If I was tired, "Hey mom, don't feel like going to my first class, call me in", "Hey mom, I wanna go to the woods in the morning, call me in tomorrow". Man I used to miss so much in highschool as long as I didn't have a ball game that night and my parents didn't care as longas I was gettinggoodgrades. If I wanted to deer hunt all I had to do was bring in a permit and it was excused. If they weren't excepting permits for absences (turkey) then I would have my dad "call me in sick". Needless to say I had alot of sick days. Funny thing was they were all excused! I miss highschool too!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:18 AM

The Oklahoma season changed a couple years back, but it used to be 9 days; the weekend before Thanksgiving through the weekend after Thanksgiving. Almost every school in the state is closed that entire week. The season has now been extended by one week, but most schools are out during the entire first week of school. "Thanksgiving Vacation" they call it. Ha Ha Those kids would be on vacation that week whether you turned out school or not. Gotta hunt!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's is aHOLIDAY here in WIbasically, haha. Our deer season is the week of thanksgiving so there is only 3 days they are in school and a huge number of kids skip 1-3 of those days. Deer hunting is a tradition here and even though our school didnt like it they couldn't do anything about it except give kids that didnt have a note detention time. They always said hunting is not an excused abscents but they just said that. I would always take off for elk hunting in Colorado for a week or so and everyone said make up an excuse your going on a family vacation and I was like "why thats dumb, they can't do anythign about it". So when I gave my teachers my thing to get signed they always asked "where ya goin?" I tell em "I'm goin hunting" and the ones that don't hunt themselves say "you can't do that" and I just say "ya wanna bet, the school can't stop me or do anthing about it" and they usually get mad about it but who cares. WCL

Quick Reply: How important is deer hunting in your area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.