Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
12-14'
13.73%
15'
27.45%
16-17'
23.53%
18' plus
35.29%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Ideal Ladder Stand Height

Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ideal Ladder Stand Height

Hypothetically, if you could build the perfect ladder treestand, how high would it be to the base? Also, what one feature would you really like to see on a ladder stand?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ideal Ladder Stand Height

If you are going to be watching fields I would rather be as high up as I can get, but usually the 16' is the normal height. I buy my stands from a local builder, all aluminum, welded, easy to move, well made, light and safe. The last four I bought I had a simple frame added so I could add an aluminum top to keep dry and added a camo tarp on the sided and back. They have a comfortable back and are two man for myself and a grandson. I think I paid $250 each for them.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 ladder stands that are 15' at the shooting rails...it would be a little better if you could add say 2 to 3 feet more to be at a better ideal height!A lot has to do with the terrain your on also...if your hunting out of an open field and your at the highest level 15 feet is plenty high enough,but if your hunting off a steephillside or down in a holler a 18 to 20 foot stand might be better suited for that situation!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a ladder stand thats 22 feet up but i usually just use hang on stands at about 25 to 30 feet high

Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 PM

I'd have to say the higher the better!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:17 AM
Fork Horn

My ideal stand height is about 19 inches. If it is too much shorter than that my legs get uncomfortable. I can get down from it in a hurry too.

Bob

P.S.- It is also very easy to put up and take down.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

My ideal stand height is about 19 inches. If it is too much shorter than that my legs get uncomfortable. I can get down from it in a hurry too.

Bob

P.S.- It is also very easy to put up and take down.
i hope you wear a harness while you hunt at that hieght.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

MIne are the two person stand, I think 12 feet at the floor and 15 at the rail. The new one I put up this year I had problems with. One of the sections must have been twisted because everytime I climbed up the ladder twisted and a section came apart.....not good. After determining which one was bad I pulled that one out and just used two sections so I was roughly 8 feet to the floor. Being 4 hours away from home and two weeks out from opening morning I couldn't really make another trip for repairs. Plus I like toleave my area alone for a couple of weeksprior toopening mornings. The shorter height didn't seem to bother the deer. I got one at 7am the first season and one at about 8:15am the second Illinois season.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most of mine are 15'/16' and they usually work fine.. I do prefera ladder a bit higher if possible and strudy enough.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

All my ladder stands are between 12 and 14 foot tall.

Quick Reply: Ideal Ladder Stand Height

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.