Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What are your thoughts on baiting? >

What are your thoughts on baiting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are your thoughts on baiting?

Old 02-05-2003, 03:05 PM

Default What are your thoughts on baiting?

I have hunted waterfowl for years. We spot a flock of geese that has benn going back to the same barley or wheat field for days, set-up in that field and bang'em in the morning. Is there a difference between that and baiting deer???

Be a steward of the outdoors. Help to keep our heritage.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:30 PM

Default RE: What are your thoughts on baiting?

the problem of some areas are that they are so widespread you would never see the deer without feeders.texas is like this in several areas.just like some bear hunting areas. you would rarely see anything without bait piles.also some of these areas have very few food sources. it doubles as a feeding resource also.just because you put up a feeder does not mean the deer will come to them.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:07 PM

there is a dif between sitting over a crop or food plot and baiting. baiting with feeders is for guys who dont wanna go out and hunt their deer.

slayer

"Accurate,Deadly,Dependable"
Old 02-05-2003, 05:44 PM

Slayer, what is the difference between sitting over a food plot, where you know deer are coming and will continue coming into?

Be a steward of the outdoors. Help to keep our heritage.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say there is a difference between hunting in a field for geese compared to hunting over food plot if we're talking firearms. Geese have to come in alot closer and stand a better chance of getting away then deer that can get shot at 300 yards and more. The deer wouldn't even know your there. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting both game birds and deer.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:41 PM

Hunting over a feeder or a food plot is basically the same thing.hunting over a food plot is more acceptible because due to the fact that it says that it is better for the overall health of the deer herd,it offers a different source of nutrients during the season,than just putting corn or whatever you use in the feeders.Plus to many people putting in a food plot and maintaining it takes alot of work,than just dumping feed on the ground or a feeder.But again hunting either way is the same thing. GOOD LUCK NEXT SEASON!!!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

So hunting over a food plot, whether you planted it or it is a farmers crops, is the same as sitting with a gun over a feeder that is timed to go off at certain times? Right, that sounds like an ignorant statement to me. I have seen and heard too many stories about how deer show up right before feeding time at those things. You never know when they will show up at a food plot, which also serves to build up all of the deer, not just the ones that can run the rest off the bait pile. Yes there is a big difference.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:53 AM
Spike

Here in Florida, I grew up hunting with dogs and, in the last few years, have had to switch to stand hunting due to the bulk of the land being leased or closed. I hunt over baited stands and small foods plots and there really is no difference.

I always thought that hunting from a stand over corn was not sporting because the deer were ignorant of your presence and just standing there. I thought dog hunting was more sporting because long shots at running deer is not an easy thing and requires better abilities with a firearm. My hypothesis proved correct. It is too easy to kill a deer from a stand over a cornpile so I switched to bow hunting.

Now, I welcome the corn pile and the pea patch and any other "aid" that will get the deer inside 20 for me. I can hunt all season and see 50 deer and maybe get one or two shots at them with a bow or I can hunt with a rifle and kill piles of them. All of this over a corn feeder or a food plot. I choose to bow hunt most of the time and then I will use a rifle when I need to stuff the freezer.

Unfortunately, due to hunting pressure, crowded public land, and deer that are much more cautious, most have no choice but to use a feeder or food plot. Don't blame those that do because that may be the only way to see deer in their area.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:48 AM

Noleball.....I certainly hope that your not saying that deer hunting with dogs is more of a sport than anyother type of hunting!! Shooting at running deer consistantly.....Really come on. That's worst kind of deer hunting that has to be known to man. Unless you are a superior marksman, that type of hunting should be outlawed. How many deer have you hit that you never found but yet still died because of the extremely low percentage shots??

As to hunting over bait.....I really don't think that geese(which atleast in MN there are way too many of them) and bear should be brought into this conversation. Atleast those two animals are way different than deer in respect to hunting over bait. In MN, hunting bear over bait is the ONLY way to hunt em. And geese.....hunters need to every advantage to get more of them out of the wild.

"There's nothing better than being out in the woods".
Old 02-06-2003, 09:59 AM

Shawn, They shop up right on time????? Man somebody needs to come here and educate some of these deer. In the last 3 years I have killed only 3 deer off feeders. Now we have alot of action on our feeders but it is at night. So we use our feeders like any other food source. We just hunt the trails, but its still not like we are shooting fish in a barrel.Heck I find it harder to hunt our private ground with feeders than I do public ground with the oaks. JMO

SAVE A HUNTER EATA PETA

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on baiting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.