HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are your thoughts on baiting?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 06:53 AM
Noleball
Spike

Default RE: What are your thoughts on baiting?

Here in Florida, I grew up hunting with dogs and, in the last few years, have had to switch to stand hunting due to the bulk of the land being leased or closed. I hunt over baited stands and small foods plots and there really is no difference.

I always thought that hunting from a stand over corn was not sporting because the deer were ignorant of your presence and just standing there. I thought dog hunting was more sporting because long shots at running deer is not an easy thing and requires better abilities with a firearm. My hypothesis proved correct. It is too easy to kill a deer from a stand over a cornpile so I switched to bow hunting.

Now, I welcome the corn pile and the pea patch and any other "aid" that will get the deer inside 20 for me. I can hunt all season and see 50 deer and maybe get one or two shots at them with a bow or I can hunt with a rifle and kill piles of them. All of this over a corn feeder or a food plot. I choose to bow hunt most of the time and then I will use a rifle when I need to stuff the freezer.

Unfortunately, due to hunting pressure, crowded public land, and deer that are much more cautious, most have no choice but to use a feeder or food plot. Don't blame those that do because that may be the only way to see deer in their area.

Just my opinion.