Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What are your thoughts on baiting? >

What are your thoughts on baiting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are your thoughts on baiting?

Old 02-12-2003, 09:55 PM

Default RE: What are your thoughts on baiting?

Ky Tprophy wrote:

Since when was harvesting a doe considered non-sportsman like????? Harvesting does puts meat on the table, and keeps the population from going out of control. what would you do if your all your huting land became so overpoulated with thoses does that are so non-spotsman like to harvest that it effected the growth and size of your bucks?????

your right, harvesting doe does put meat on the table. but so does squirrl, rabbit and good ol fashion grocery shopping. if my land was overpopulated with doe, i would host a junior and women only hunt.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stalin, I don' t think their are to many areas in NA that the doe vs buck ratio is in check. Thus the harvest of does is essential. I take you are a trophy hunter (as am I). Then you should know exactly what QDM(Quality Deer Management) & TBM (Trophy Buck Management) are and being a trophy hunter should be practicing these. This includes you doing your part to ensure a equal doe vs buck ratio and sustain antler growth and development. Yes, you can host a young or womens hunt (which is great), but what message are you sending to those groups...I could, I need to, but I am to good too!

If you only have one tag allowed in a given season and choose to wait for a trophy, that is fine. (in fact that is what I do, but I will always take a doe over a immature buck if it is required and if they allow a antlerless permit for my area, I am on it...I know the doe vs. buck ratio ain' t where it should be and my long term goals are simple....more mature bucks = more opportunity)

Any harvest should be consider a prize, wether for the wall or the table. Does are only easier to kill due to numbers and young, not because they don' t have a set of horns or b@lls.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

I think this post has been run into the ground. Do a search on food plots/baiting. and you will see what I mean.
Before anyone sticks their nose up in the air over things they know nothing of, get down off your soap box and look around at what others may be faceing in their part of this country.
You have great hunting, Lots of rain and good lakes, plenty of food for the deer and other animals, your food plots do great, you are blessed with the abilities to do all the hunting you want to do without the use of these. BOW your HEAD and Bend Your knees and give thanks. There are others here that do not have these things.
I said it before and here it is again. I will trade you hunting spots any time but once we change thats it. No changing back!
Rick
Old 02-13-2003, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stalin, I' m sure all the ladies here will be glad to know that they should shoot only does from now on!
Maybe in return for that privilege they can fill our feeders and work our food plots too! After that, I' m sure they wouldn' t mind fixin' our dinner too!
I' ll let you eat first!!!!!!!
Really, there are many ways to hunt! Whatever is legal is OK in my book!
True trophy hunters and management minded hunters don' t have a problem killing their own does, and don' t have to build up their own ego' s by knocking others hunters methods of hunting either!
Old 02-13-2003, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to use one, then use one, I won' t though.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see some things will NEVER change around here!
Old 02-14-2003, 06:56 PM

skeeter,

i wouldnt say that i was a " trophy hunter" . i just dont harvest doe. i agree about letting an imature buck pass and hold out for somthing worth passing up a good night of drinking and getting up so goll darn early in the morning for. but i think for the seasoned hunter, (and yes im stereo typing here) there is no challenge when out to take a doe. i know someone is going to say, " i know plenty of women and youngsters that have taken thier share of big buck." to that i say, god bless em' ! good for them. and if they are that good to where they are typicaly successful, maybe they should change their hunting style and focus on the challenge of harvesting the ever elusive buck. i mean after all, hunting is ulimatley a sport, right? the point of a sport is the challenge behind the sport, right? otherwise it wouldnt be a sport. we hunt because its a challenge. i know there are other perks to being in the woods with mother nature and so on. but what would be the fun if you know you could stand at your front porch and bash the deer over the head with a crow bar? it would be boring because there would be no challenge. i know thats a little extreme, but it works. here is another example. the rifle hunter that has converted to a bow hunter becasue bow hunting is more of a challenge.

JagMagMan wrote:
Stalin, I' m sure all the ladies here will be glad to know that they should shoot only does from now on!
Maybe in return for that privilege they can fill our feeders and work our food plots too! After that, I' m sure they wouldn' t mind fixin' our dinner too!
I' ll let you eat first!!!!!!!
Really, there are many ways to hunt! Whatever is legal is OK in my book!
True trophy hunters and management minded hunters don' t have a problem killing their own does, and don' t have to build up their own ego' s by knocking others hunters methods of hunting either!
????what are you talking about??? i didnt say anything about ladies only shooting doe. another classic example of taking someones words and twisting them. i dont believe in the managment minded hunter theory. im not going to shoot an animal just because i think it might " control" the population.