Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What are your thoughts on baiting? >

What are your thoughts on baiting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are your thoughts on baiting?

Old 02-07-2003, 10:31 AM

Default RE: What are your thoughts on baiting?

Long live the BUTTON BUCK KING LOLOLOLOL wannabes LOLOLOLOLOL Sorry guys I had to laugh at that statment

SAVE A HUNTER EATA PETA
Old 02-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mauser, I think maybe you should sometimes think or at least re-read what you have typed before you click "post". Sitting on any food source is very similar you are praying on the need to eat, however it isn't a sure thing. Also planting a food plot is anything but natural and is quite similar to baiting. (like I mentioned I believe it does more good for the herd in certain areas that have limited food sources vs. baiting all year round) As to wanna be's are those who bait...come on'. I suggest you never plan on hunting with an outfitter in Saskatchewan for deer, cause you'll have to be a wanna be...that is the current techinque used. Why, b/c you don't want to fly all the way to saskatchewan, sit in the cold and spend your hard earned cash watching a trail or feild to maybe see a few deer a day or even a week...do you? Well the answer is no. Outfitters have responded to the need to see lots of animals and vary sized bucks. While it is true we have lots of Trophies running around, getting a hunter or hunters in a given area constantly on a trophy sized animal is a tough beast and when you factor in the terrain outfitters can legally guide non-resident hunters...well they need every possible advantage to ensure a good time is had and just maybe a trophy animal may show. Plus like I said baiting is more than laying the slop, it takes the same amount of scouting, homework and preperation as finding a tree stand location, etc. Location, scouting and homework are still the number one keys with baiting. I really don't think people realize that and it is just as much work as sitting a rubline or scrape. Again I personally do not bait, so no skin off my arse for those who don't agree, but I think some facts should be presented to the unknowing. Just for the record I have no problem with a hunter baiting for deer during the season, I do however have issues with those that bait year round or actually curve the deer natural patterns and promote concentration of deer in a small area (for obvious reasons).

Old 02-07-2003, 06:33 PM

Sorry guys but mauser06 made a statement that anyone using corn has "WANNABE" but in another post titled " ANYONE HAVE A PLACE LIKE THIS" him and his dad were shooting deer like they were flies.BTW if you cant tell a button buck from a full grown doe with a scoped rifle then you are way off calling someone a wannabe. For what its worth out of 20 years hunting and about 6 years of the last on private ground with feeders I have only harvested 3 deer coming to the feeders.But I have killed far more on public ground hunting the oaks so I guess oaks vs feeders ummm oaks os more productive. We use feeders for more of a extra food source than a hunting tool.Anybody thats ever used a feeder knows its not like they line up to come in.Sorry to rumble

SAVE A HUNTER EATA PETA
Old 02-07-2003, 10:28 PM

Shawn wether you use a feeder or a food plot their is no certain time a deer will show up,some will show up during the day or night.just like baiting for the bears here in Mn. one day he will come in at night then the next he might show up in the morning or in the afternoon.And the food plot that I'm putting in for the deer is to provide a better food source for them. A feeder,or a food plot or a farming field is a food source for a deer either way you look at it.Here in Mn baiting for deer is illegal.Even a food plot is a fine line here too.They say if a food plot is primarily to hunt over it is illegal.So if hunt over a feeder or farmland or a food plot it's the same thing hunting over a food source. Baiting is a personal choice whether it's legal or not.where it's illegal the person is taking a chance to get caught but like I said It's a personal choice.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

I have no problem with baiting if it legal in your area. And to say it makes no difference to how many deer you see is wrong at least in my hunting area. I have proved this in my hunting area with my trailtimer. It is illegal to bait during hunting season here but you can bait up to 10 days before you hunt an area. Last year during the spring I set my trail timer up and log the animal crossing and take pics better than 95% were deer. After a month I put out corn and the deer sighting went up almost 4 times !!!! when compared to the month before and was fairly equal in what time of day they came in campared to the last month. This year I plan to do the same thing again just to see if the results from last year hold up. I hunt in a small patch of woods that has wheat, corn, beans and other crops around it so they are not hungry at that time up year with the wheat up and growing. I am going to take it out this year when there are more crops in the feilds so they have more to choose from just to see if the corn will pull them in when the food is more plentyfull.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:29 PM

my opinion is that hunting over bait is as non-sportsman like as harvesting doe. except for women and youngsters that is.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah , I think that hunting over a bait pile is easier as well as a food plot. The deer know there is food there but they will go to the crop anyway so I say do what you do, unless it is illegal! If you feel good about yourself hunting over a baitpile or food plot then do it. If you hunt trails between food plots then do it! Just do it legally!

Live True.
Happy Hunting!
peace
Old 02-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

It' s a shame that this topic has to be rehashed twenty times a year!
It does' nt do hunters or this board any good! All it does is cause name calling and hard feelings on both sides. Baitng is only one of many methods of hunting and as with other methods those that don' t do things the way that you do them, seem to get the delusion that they are better hunters than others!
I have hunted over bait and hunted without bait. The two biggest misconceptions non-baiters have are: #1 " deer come running or wait around for the feeder to go off!" Wrong! I' ve never seen this, might happen somewhere that they are starving.
#2. " Attracts ' em like a magnet! No work or skills needed!" Wrong again! Deer do not go out of their way to get a bite of corn. You still have to scout out a good spot, and working a food plot and filling feeders in 100 degree heat with almost 100% humidity is no more lazy than letting a farmer do it for you!
It is simple, if it' s legal in your area, you have a choice, if it is illegal, you don' t have a choice! End of debate or is that debait
Old 02-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Baiting.....hmmmm....it depends on lots of things I suppose. I have mixed feelings about it.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:36 PM

stalin' s post
my opinion is that hunting over bait is as non-sportsman like as harvesting doe. except for women and youngsters that is.

Since when was harvesting a doe considered non-sportsman like????? Harvesting does puts meat on the table, and keeps the population from going out of control. what would you do if your all your huting land became so overpoulated with thoses does that are so non-spotsman like to harvest that it effected the growth and size of your bucks?????

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on baiting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.