Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting on Sunday's

Old 01-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting on Sunday's

What is so funny about this situation...Most of the guys that want to hunt on Sunday don't have the long season and generous bag limits we have here in NC...We can hunt from mid-September until the end of the year and this year we got unlimited doe tags...FREE...

If you want to hunt on Sunday, don't move to NC....I'm staying put....

To those of you complaining....How much of your hunting season do you want to loose...Do you want a 3 week season so you can hunt on Sunday, or four???

I have plenty to do on a Sunday, without having to go hunting...

Last year I killed 9 deer, and spent a solid month just big buck hunting....The freezer is full...We are blessed to live in such a game laden state....

Quit complaining and get ready for turkey season...
Old 01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

What is so funny about this situation...Most of the guys that want to hunt on Sunday don't have the long season and generous bag limits we have here in NC...We can hunt from mid-September until the end of the year and this year we got unlimited doe tags...FREE...

If you want to hunt on Sunday, don't move to NC....I'm staying put....

To those of you complaining....How much of your hunting season do you want to loose...Do you want a 3 week season so you can hunt on Sunday, or four???

I have plenty to do on a Sunday, without having to go hunting...

Last year I killed 9 deer, and spent a solid month just big buck hunting....The freezer is full...We are blessed to live in such a game laden state....

Quit complaining and get ready for turkey season...

I think you bring up a good point about the does. There are slews of people who wont shoot them. Lots of old timers wont and will guys who are ego challenged. Guys will take spikes all day long, and pass on the does that are twice the size. Instead of Sunday, why not hunt does all season? Thats the best way to manage them in my opinion. The rule where I hunt (private land) is if youcanthang it on the wall, let him go.And who ever shoots the first wall hanger, sets thebar for the next one and so on.Only old bucks and does in our circle. 2 monsters and 11 does. Not bad for the 6 of us..

Old 01-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Ah... good ol Blue Laws... No buying beer on Sunday either. I grew up in PA, where this was the norm... Now in IL I can hunt and buy beer on my way home to watch the game.

Funny how they let the malls and stores be open for business though...

from Wiki

A blue law, in the United States and Canada, is a type of law designed to enforce moral standards, particularly the observance of Sunday as a day of worship or rest. Most have been repealed, declared unconstitutional or are simply unenforced, although prohibitions on the sale of alcoholic beverages, and occasionally almost all commerce, on Sundays are still enforced in many areas. This puzzles many non-Americans, given the supposed separation of church and state.[1] Blue laws often prohibit an activity only during certain hours and there are usually exceptions to the prohibition of commerce, like grocery and drug stores. In some places blue laws may be enforced due to religious principles, but others are retained as a matter of tradition or out of convenience.[2]
Old 01-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty interesting. I've never been able to hunt Sunday, so doing without is not that big of a deal. If the reason they banned it is religion, so be it. The religious right being against it doesnt seem to work though, that would mean the left is for it?I was surprised at the map though. I dont know how much of it has to do with population density, but interesting. Growing up theidea was that you let the woods kinda quiet down. We didnt even shoot guns on Sunday. Iguess Im still not convinced on the argument though.Some act like they should'nt have to usevacation time to hunt. What the hell? You use leave to go to the doctor, why do you feel entitled to days off to hunt? If it wasn't forSundays, some of these yahoos would never get the hellout of the woods, especially the friggin dog runners. There is enough problems with guys shooting dozens of deer a year, spotlighting, trespassing, poaching,dumping deer along the road. If its a management tool, just lengthen the season by a week or so.

Besides,Sunday is forprocessing& wrapping.....if you hunt 7 days aweek, when would the work get done
Some people just don't get the big picture at all don't even try to tell me it is religon here in WV you can fish get drunk gamble go to the mall just about anything you want but HUNT. Now if our season started the first of Sept like some others do it may make a small difference but it doesnt it starts the second Saturday of Oct . Now I know some of you will think that is still enough time but lets take into account the poor slob who has to work 5 and sometimes 6 days a week to make a living and yes it happens all the time. Does he not deserve the time to be in the woods in pursuit of game also. Maybe he cannot afford to take a vacation day to hunt and maybe his company will not allow him to take a day when he wants. Now lets just say he has all the Saturdays off work to bow hunt he gets 5 saturdays before gun season comes in and if he is lucky 2 saturdays after all the gun seasons close hoping maybe a few bucks didnt go down with guns. No matter how you look at it that isnt right. I don't know of anyone who ever said gosh what do I do Church or hunting what should I do. it has nothing to do with church in my opinion.

With me it doesnt matter anymore I am retired and can hunt when I please But for the common worker in Wv it costs to much to try to miss work to hunt.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Sunday hunting bans are a great deal for a retired person. The laws take competition for game away.

That is great except if your favorite hunting pard, your grandson, because of a lack of senority, has to work EVERY Saturday. For working stiffs, scheduled overtime is often on Saturday too.

My son missed opening day of first deason shotgun deer, here in Iowa, three years in a row because he was required to work Saturdays. He could not even get the day by scheduling a full week of vacation because there was another hunter at his work with more senority who already had the week blocked out. It sucked for the other employee too for he had to schedule a full week of vacation off just to hunt on the ONE Saturday.

My son would not have hunted with us those three years at all were Sunday hunting banned in Iowa.

I think that people who are in favor of retaining Sunday hunting bans are either PETA tree hungging antihunters, misguided "religious", purely selfish, or a combination of these.

By the way- My son no longer works for Fareway grocery.

Bob
Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckeye Hunter

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

the ban on Sundays is nothing more than for religious beliefs, there is suppose to be a seperation of church and state but the far right don't want that.
Freedom of chioce ,don't hunt on Sundays if that is what you believe but don't stop others because they want to
I think you might want to research a little on the far right because the other end of spectrume wants to take your gun and a lot of other rites away from you as well. I'm not saying they are bad people,I just want to keep my freedom to choose.
Ya know freedom of choice is important, but ya don't have to worry about guns going away, they will only go if ya let them......
They're not gonna get your guns if ya fight...
I live in Canada, the Liberals introduced the firearms control on a gun owners at an estimated cost of 1 million dollars.
At 1 million dollars,everone seemed A -Ok with with the exception of the gun owners.
That one million dollarrs turned out to be a 3 billion dollar Liberal fiasco..
At 3 billion dollars everytax payer is pissed and now non hunters and non gun owners are saying stop..
Alot of us firearm owners said fine, you want firearms I'll registor everything that satrs and ends with the word gun,nail guns caulkng guns, glue guns, and hockey sticks ( cause when we werte kids, I pretended they where guns)
There is 2 alternatives the Gov has left one is to get rid of it, (they will) the other is to confiscate them ..
Honestly, if that happened who's gonna do it, the police,the CO's the military,there will be 7 million very very upset registered gun owners (probably (7 miillion non registered)and 99% will be trigger happy....

Old 01-30-2008, 09:55 AM

i think its a complete joke to ban hunting on sundays and once again is a slap in the face of working class men andwomanwho only get two days a week to do what they love once again our gov. waste its time and our money to pass these useless laws theres better waysto manage we always wanna ban stuff instead of teaching people to be ethical first its no hunting on sundays then whats next thank god im from Wisconsin
Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

Pretty interesting. I've never been able to hunt Sunday, so doing without is not that big of a deal. If the reason they banned it is religion, so be it. The religious right being against it doesnt seem to work though, that would mean the left is for it?I was surprised at the map though. I dont know how much of it has to do with population density, but interesting. Growing up theidea was that you let the woods kinda quiet down. We didnt even shoot guns on Sunday. Iguess Im still not convinced on the argument though.Some act like they should'nt have to usevacation time to hunt. What the hell? You use leave to go to the doctor, why do you feel entitled to days off to hunt? If it wasn't forSundays, some of these yahoos would never get the hellout of the woods, especially the friggin dog runners. There is enough problems with guys shooting dozens of deer a year, spotlighting, trespassing, poaching,dumping deer along the road. If its a management tool, just lengthen the season by a week or so.

Besides,Sunday is forprocessing& wrapping.....if you hunt 7 days aweek, when would the work get done???

vabyrd,
Unfortunately, my wife and kids do not hunt. My daughter did hunt with me at one time but not anymore. If I used up most of my vacation time to go do something on my own instead of including my family i probably wouldnt have a family to come home to.
So yes, i am acting like it would be nice that i can go on vacation with my family and add hunting days by having Sunday available to me since my wife works on Sundays. Gun/buck season here in WV starts on a Monday, has 1 weekend then ends on the next Saturday
Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Having grown up in Virginia, I see this as a hold over from "a time long, long ago". Growing up in the 60s, I remember grocery stores couldn't open before noon on Sundays. The pharmacy could open prior to noon, as could the occasional gas station, but in general, almost all commerce was shut down before noon on Sundays. Then, they started repealing the blue laws (I think it started with the 7/11 stores coming to town! ). Grocery stores could open Sunday morning (or even stay open all night Saturday night) but they couldn't sell alcohol between midnight Saturday and, I think, 8 AM Monday. Then they changed to where they could sell beer after 12:00 noon on Sunday. Some voluntarily delayed alcohol sales until 1 PM on Sundays. This trend grew in the 70s to treat Sunday like any other day of commerce. I don't think they started selling beer before noon until some time in the 90s though, and I think the ABC / liquor stores being open on Sundays is something that happened only in the last 10 years or so.

See, the deal of not hunting on Sundays is as much "tradition" as is many other things in this state that needto go away or were eventually ended- such as like having the school holidays in the Fall scheduled around tobacco harvest. When this "tradition" was established, the hunting season was only a couple of weeks long, and no one outside of doctors, policemen, firefighters and a few othersworked on Saturdays. We did away with the harvest holidays and should probably do away with the Sunday hunting ban -- maybe just in baby steps at first, such as was tried with the bill that was just defeated which tried to legalize Sunday hunting only during bow season and only on private land. If "tradition" is going to rule the decisions in the General Assembly, then I say they should go back to wearing powdered wigs when in session.

BTW - I usually take 4 or 5 vacation days a year to hunt, but I'm fortunate enough to have enough time built up that this doesn't interfere with family vacations.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm from Virginia too, and being 18 and in the local community college, I can hunt atleast 3 days a week (Tues. Thurs., and Sat.) if i don't have too much school work to get done. So I'm not really sure where I stand on the issue. Personally, I would have to say I am against it, just cause most of our neighboring property owners blast away at every thing and that would just give them another day to shoot another yearling (One family took 20 deer and dont hunt much more than 50 acres!). But that is just me and that's a pretty selfish standpoint. To you folks who work and have families to think of, i support your decision to hunt on Sunday cause you don't have much other time to do so. So looking ahead to the future, I would have to say that I am in favor of Sunday hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.