Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

peeing in the woods

Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 PM

Default peeing in the woods

i have heard alot of different things about this. i have heard deer wont come around if you have peed on the ground around a stand. then i have a heard that you can freshen a scrape up with your own urine and the bucks will run to it. does anyone know if peeing in the woods bothers deer.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pissing in the woods

I am 100% convinced that human urine does not alarm deer. I urinate in my mock scrapes and had several taken over this past year by mature bucks.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think it spooks the deer. I mean I wouldn't pee under my feeder, but taking a leak out the window of your stand won't spook'um too bad.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it would spook them, but I certainly wouldn't try it if I was eating asparagus!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

WOW, THIS IS AMAZING. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE TESTOSTERONE IN HUMAN PEE CAN ATTRACT A DEER TO A SCRAPE. HERE IS THE TRUTH...A DEER'S DEFENSE IS HIS NOSE, THE BIGGER BUCKS SEEM TO BE SMARTER THAN THE YOUNGER ONES ABOUT THINGS BUT IF YOU THINK THAT IN ANY WAY SPREADING HUMAN SENT IN THE WOODS IS A GOOD THING THEN YOU ARE MISSING A LOT OF THE GOOD ACTION, IF YOU WANT TO PUT TESTOSTERONE ON A SCRAPE THEN BUY A 13 DOLLAR BOTTLE OF BUCK URINE. DEER HATE HUMAN SENT, NOW IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RUT WHEN A BUCK IS TOO CRAZY TO THINK STREIGHT, THEN HE MIGHT SLIP UP.JUST TO BE FAIR, I AM GOING TO GO TO AN AREA THAT I DON'T EVER WANT TO HUNT AND SET UP CAMERAS ON SOME BUCK SCRAPES AND TRY THIS OUT, I WILL PEE ONCE A DAY IN A SPOT FOR A WEEK. I AM 99% SHURE THAT ON DAY 2 I WON'T SEE ANY DEER AT ALL.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to hold it until I came out of the woods and got back to my truck. Here is what changed my mind. About 5 years ago Southern Illinois got some snow during deer season, I walked into my stand that morning and hunted all morning. On my way out I couldn't last any longer so about half way out I stopped and peed. The next morning going in there were deer tracks and you could see where they peed everywhere. So, I don't buy the "don't pee where you hunt" rule. Of course had it not been for all of the snow I'd probably still be thinking the old way.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vmartin

WOW, THIS IS AMAZING. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE TESTOSTERONE IN HUMAN PEE CAN ATTRACT A DEER TO A SCRAPE. HERE IS THE TRUTH...A DEER'S DEFENSE IS HIS NOSE, THE BIGGER BUCKS SEEM TO BE SMARTER THAN THE YOUNGER ONES ABOUT THINGS BUT IF YOU THINK THAT IN ANY WAY SPREADING HUMAN SENT IN THE WOODS IS A GOOD THING THEN YOU ARE MISSING A LOT OF THE GOOD ACTION, IF YOU WANT TO PUT TESTOSTERONE ON A SCRAPE THEN BUY A 13 DOLLAR BOTTLE OF BUCK URINE. DEER HATE HUMAN SENT, NOW IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RUT WHEN A BUCK IS TOO CRAZY TO THINK STREIGHT, THEN HE MIGHT SLIP UP.JUST TO BE FAIR, I AM GOING TO GO TO AN AREA THAT I DON'T EVER WANT TO HUNT AND SET UP CAMERAS ON SOME BUCK SCRAPES AND TRY THIS OUT, I WILL PEE ONCE A DAY IN A SPOT FOR A WEEK. I AM 99% SHURE THAT ON DAY 2 I WON'T SEE ANY DEER AT ALL.
Here's pictures showing those deer running from my mock scrape started and later freshened with male human urine.

One thing that I forgot to do was make sure there was a low hanging branch but it seemed to work pretty well even without it.

I made the mock scrape on October 27th.

Here was the first vistor, a doe on the 29th.

Next visitor, a young 9 point. I freshened up the scrape on the 5th. This guy visited on the 6th.

This yearling was there on the 8th.

And this mature buck was there on the 10th. (He had his right main beam broken off within a week of this picture)

I pulled my camera off the scrape after those pictures, but I was pretty impressed at the effectiveness of the scrape. One thing that you might notice though is only the yearling was there during the day, this was effective at getting some pictures of some bucks, but I'm not sure if it would pay off to hunt over a scrape. The 2 larger bucks both visited right around midnight.

Thats my 2 cents. Nathan

Old 01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

i still need to see definate proof, those pictures are of nocternal moving deer, i am trying to create a daylight moving deer, the only way i know how to do this is to keep the deer thinking they arent being hunted. all of those pictues were of deer smelling it, not urinating over your spot, now they know that a human is in the area, particularly that area. i try to keep an open mind about new hunting techniques but this is one i am going to experiment in a spot that i don't care for the deer there. to me it sounds like the guy that told mecigarettes actually call in deer. one guy believe you should start a chainsaw to sit over. another told me that he doesn't mask his odor, he wears his mechanics suit, as the deer don't mind a farmer. ya all these things might have peaked the intrest of a young buck or doe, but big bucks are a different breed all together, you just can't let them know your in the area and expect to kill the buck of a lifetime.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont worry about it it doesnt hurt a thing
Old 01-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vmartin

i still need to see definate proof, those pictures are of nocternal moving deer, i am trying to create a daylight moving deer, the only way i know how to do this is to keep the deer thinking they arent being hunted. all of those pictues were of deer smelling it, not urinating over your spot, now they know that a human is in the area, particularly that area. i try to keep an open mind about new hunting techniques but this is one i am going to experiment in a spot that i don't care for the deer there. to me it sounds like the guy that told mecigarettes actually call in deer. one guy believe you should start a chainsaw to sit over. another told me that he doesn't mask his odor, he wears his mechanics suit, as the deer don't mind a farmer. ya all these things might have peaked the intrest of a young buck or doe, but big bucks are a different breed all together, you just can't let them know your in the area and expect to kill the buck of a lifetime.
Not sure what kind of scrapes you've seen, but nearly all scrape activity is done at night. Do you need to see all the pictures of the same deer coming back several times to check the scrape? I have pictures of that mature buck coming back to it on several different occasions.

Here is a picture of him before he got his right side knocked off, he is a mature buck:

If those pictures aren't the proof you are looking for, you're not going to find it.

Quick Reply: peeing in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.