Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

peeing in the woods

Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: pissing in the woods

HOW COME ANIMALS Pee ON THINGS TO MARK THEIR TERRITORY IF ANOTHER ANIMAL CAN'T TELL WHO MADE IT. WHY WOULD A FOX WORRY ABOUT MARKING ITS TERRITORY? OR A DEER Pee IN A SCRAPE?.....TONY
Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

npaden, thank you for being level headed and educated about the subject at hand. I couldnt agree with your arguments more.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

My uncle taught me that scent is extremly important in chasing game.. He would never ever urinate outside his blind.. My mom and I were hunting one morning and I had to go.. She said that we would never see anything now.. 10 minutes later dead 8 point lay in frount of us..She had to rethink her beliefs..
Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not suggesting that folks should run around pee'ing on their blinds, boots or themselves for that matter.

All I'm suggesting is that there are hundreds of folks out there that have used human urine for the purpose of mock scrapes and that you are wasting your money on a $13 bottle of urine that supposedly comes from a deer.

I personally don't pee near my setups because I don't want to smell or step in it.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is kind of funny! Everyone is so concerned about being scent free wearing all of the scent blocker suits, using all the scent eliminator sprays, wearing rubber boots etc and some of the same folks are peeing all over. Why not just use the pee that these stores sell, thats what its for. That way no questions or concerns can be out there.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:00 PM

on the first day of youth season my dad had to pee so he did by a tree and about a30 minutes later a big buck came runnning by to me
Old 01-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

for me i will not ever pee in the woods until i see the evidence of it working for myself. i would urge you to test this theory out in a controlled way before you go the rest of your life leaving a major human sent where ever you go. i will find a good deer scrape line in october, set up cameras and see if the deer freshen up the scrapes after i pee in it. now for everyone who has said they peed in a spot and a buck came running by, i bet the wind was going away from the deer when he came in for 2 reasons, you were probably standing close to the spot that you peed as you were hunting. having urine on the ground aside, if the wind was at your back then he would have smelt you anyways and ran. so from that fact i believe that the deer never got a chance to smell the pee. all that aside i am sure there are going to be more people to argue this, that is why i have to test this theory out for my self.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 PM

yeah the only reason my dad peed was cuz he had to go real bad
Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I disagree with vmartin, but with valid reasons. I experimented with mock scrapes for the first time ever this past past fall and with great success. I had one scrape taken over by a mature 8 pt. that i harvested, and a rub was made on a tree right above the scrape which leads me to believe he was pretty ticked to find someone else in his zone. I also had another scrape visited and taken over by a 1.5yr 4 pt. two 2.5yr old 8pts and a 4.5 yr old mammoth (not sure by which one, may have been worked by all three). I am glad that you are disagreeing with with validity vmartin, and not just saying "I aint gonna pee in the woods!!"

As for deer running by after you urinated, it could have been coincidence or proof of it working. That case would be very situational to me.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

I used to hold it until I came out of the woods and got back to my truck. Here is what changed my mind. About 5 years ago Southern Illinois got some snow during deer season, I walked into my stand that morning and hunted all morning. On my way out I couldn't last any longer so about half way out I stopped and pissed. The next morning going in there were deer tracks and you could see where they pissed everywhere. So, I don't buy the "don't piss where you hunt" rule. Of course had it not been for all of the snow I'd probably still be thinking the old way.

Well the above message has been my experience with this issue. All I can say is it appears "going" in the woods didn't seem to bother the deer where I hunt. All I can say is I guess this is one of them subjects where we'll have to agree to dis-agree.

Quick Reply: peeing in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.