Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

peeing in the woods

Old 01-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: pissing in the woods

i dont do it, try to be as scent free as possible
Old 01-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Once a few years ago, I had to go really bad. So I went from my treestand. About 2 minutes later a doe and a button buck walk right over the spot I just made. Neither of them seem to notice anything. Now I try not to go, but I also won't hold it and make myself uncomfortable.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I peed out of a stand for a couple weeks on the weekends when I was hunting last year. It NEVER bothered the deer. Not even this guy.[8D]
As far as getting big bucks to move during the day....I will post a collage of pics of deer during the summer when there was virtually zero human presence.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Notice the color of sky when the big guys got their pics taken...

Old 01-22-2008, 08:21 PM

I have heard both sides of this argument before. I have never done it myself, but find it interesting. Deer are curious by nature, and from the farm country where I live, people piss in the fields that deer frequent all the time. Do you think they can tell human piss from that of any other animal? (cows, horses, cats,fox, coyote) I guess if you have to go, it sure beats pissing down your leg.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I piss just before I start my walk to the stand. I take a piss bottle to piss in if I have to. There is no way I'm going to go to all the trouble I do for scent control and then piss off of my stand. That's just laziness. Leave as little scent in the woods as you can. That means even touching trees with your hands. You can wear rubber boots and spray them with scent killer and the deer can still smell something. Maybe they don't know what it is, but they can smell something. Don't tell me they can't smell human piss. I can smell it so they can. Don't tell me they can't tell the difference. Maybe they don't know it is human, but they do know it smells different than anything else. You don't want to be leaving strange smells in the woods. People say it doesn't affect the deer, but you don't know that. You will never know if a big old smart buck shied away from a stand site because you were pissing around it.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought about this on my way home from work.I took my Grand Daughter with me hunting,bucket and all(think about it).Well she used the bucket and I poured it out the frount of the shooting house(paper and all).One hour later a small four poimt came right buy and started to make scrapes.Female pee????You tell me?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: isatarak

Don't tell me they can't smell human piss. I can smell it so they can. Don't tell me they can't tell the difference. Maybe they don't know it is human, but they do know it smells different than anything else.
I'm looking and haven't found it yet, but that is exactly what I'm telling you. They can't tell the difference. I read an article that discussed the subject and there was talk of amino acids, etc. and that after a very short amount of time after ground contact (a couple hours at the most) there was no way to tell what animal (human, deer, pig, bear, etc.) had urinated on that spot. Yes they can smell the urine, but they can't tell the difference between human urine and deer urine.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as scrape activity I did find an article on that.

They did a 2 year study in Georgia on natural scrapes and found that 85% of the scrape activity was at night.

Here's the quote:
Study Results
The results obtained from this two–year study were surprising. First, we found that 85 percent of all scraping activity occurred at night (Fig. 1). This was true for both the scrapes along the field edges and those in the forest interior. White–tailed deer are typically considered “crepuscular” or most active during early morning and late evening. However, as you can tell by the graph, bucks are active throughout the night with very little scrape use during daylight hours.
So the fact that the bucks visited my mock scrape at night would seem completely normal. You are fooling yourself if you are planning on hunting a scrape line looking for a big buck to use it during the day, even during the rut.

Scrape sites are great for getting different bucks on camera though, they had 1 scrape that they monitored that was used by 13 different bucks.

Here's the entire article - http://www.qdma.org/articles/details.asp?id=8
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every time I go up in my stand I piss off it, why by cover scent when i can make it!(I dont piss on my self though!)

Quick Reply: peeing in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.