Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats wrong with my rifle?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats wrong with my rifle?

Also make sure the barrel and action are tightened to the stock. My dad's Sako was shooting terrible groups. Here the screws at the trigger guard and floor plate were loose. Tightened them up and it was back to driving tacks.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

What rings are you using? Didn't read every work of this thread, sorry if it's been said. I agree with most, Cheap rings or scope or both. and you have to shoot some ammo through it during off season. I love these guys that brag about the same box of shells he's had for 30 years and gets his Deer every year..Pure luck.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:45 AM

is your scope rated for your rifle? if the scope is a cheap walmart special tasco or something it may not handle anything bigger than a 22... i had that problem with my plinker, even the recoil from my 22 was setting it off. also if the scope is adjustable magnification it may get messed up when you adjust...
Old 01-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Use a different scope.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

You won't believe me, but I bet you are flinching...

We have about a dozen guests a year hunt on our farms...Before any hunt I have them check their gun, most of the time they shoot about a 3-5 inch group at 100 yards...I then check the gun and it groups within 1 1/2 inches...I have been known to hand a guy an empty gun, tell him its has a round in it when it doesn't, works every time...

Check all your action screws and scope screws...Stick with the same ammo, even good guns have preferences as to what ammo groups best...Get a better setup then the hood of your truck...

Have you got a life vest for your boat??? Put it on, you'd be surprised how this absorbs recoil...You can never be a good rifle shot if you are anticipating the recoil of the gun...

Finally, wear ear plugs, the sound of a shot also makes one flinch, as well as damages your hearing...
I agree. Even with letting the trigger pull surprise you while sighting, in the field, you are likely still pulling. Its totally different in the field, trying to kill an animal. Try getting Snap Caps (fake cartridges you can dry-fire)in your caliber, and pretend shooting (with good shot placement) at deer pictures or at deer on TV shows. It sounds silly, but pulling the trigger with a deer in the scope is good practice for pulling the trigger with deer in the scope. Add this to shooting 100-200 rounds target shooting in the month or two prior to hunting season. (once the rifle is sighted in with your good hunting rounds, you can use cheap ones for this. Consider it shooting practice, not target shooting, because where you hit in this exercise is not that improtant, consistency in form is.) Also, in the "off season," try to shoot at least one box a month, always with good form. I noticed a real difference for myself in shooting at live game when I started doing these things.