Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats wrong with my rifle?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Spike

Default Whats wrong with my rifle?

Ok, heres the deal. I have a remington model 700 300-06. It's stainless steel with the black synthetic stock with a nikon buckmasters 3x9x40 scope. I have missed 3 deer with this gun this year and cannot figure out why. It's either 3 causes: the gun, scope, or me.

I sighted it in at 110 yds on the hood of my truck with the gun laying on top of a corn bag. This setup was very steady and secure. Started off using cheap bullets from walmart and they were perfectly in line but high. I lowered and it was still in line left to right but still about 4 inches or so high. I clicked the scope downwhere it should have been close to the bullseye, but that shot went probably a couple inches low, which I didnt click it far enough to be that low. I then switched to my federal 165 grain ballistic tips and they shot even lower and a few inches to the left. I then got frustrated and left because it still wasnt patterning good, and I'm pretty damn sure it wasnt me jerking. Came back that evening shooting the ballistic tips, and first shot was a couple inches high, right where the last cheap bullet hit. I dialed it back down and it hit bullseye and that was it. I was like damn, this thing hasnt ever been this dead on.

I know this is starting to become a long story, but to make it shorter I've missed 3 deer with it. I killed one at 50 yds, but blewher stomach out and had to shoot again.Shot low and to the left like it was doing the first time sighting it in. Could it be the gun itself thats screwed up? What about the scope? I've never been able to pattern this gun and even had others to shoot it this year, and they were all over the place.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats wrong with my rifle?

I'm almost 100% sure it's not the gun, so that leaves you or the scope. If the scope is sound it's either the scope isn't sighted in good or it's you. I'm betting it's one of the two.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Did the scope come with the rifle? If the scope didn't come with the rifle, who mounted the scope? You might have to check your scope mounts.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Spike

I was practically trying to let the scope hit me in the nose so I would know that i was relaxed enough. I was making the actual firing itself surprise me and it was still straying bullets

scope was bought seperate and bass pro in charlotte mounted the scope. what could be wrong with the rings? I tightened them up before i shot
Old 01-04-2008, 06:52 PM

Have someone else shoot the gun. If they can consistantly hit the mark, then its you. How much have you ever shot a weapon? If not much, I recommend getting a 22 and do some plinking then start target practicing with your 30-06. Shoot it until your arm hurts, clean the gun then go backout and do it a couple or more sessions.Confidence in the weapon is very important. Once you are confident the gun will hit where you point it then go hunting. You may also be experiancing the fever!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you lined your 30-06 at 110 yards it will probably shoot low at 50 yards.Here are a few tips to use when lining up your gun.

1.Use the same brand and grain weight of bullets,don't change after lining it up.

2.Use a steady rest or Caldwell Ledsled to hold your gun secure.

3.Shoot 3 times,then see where your groups are and adjust your scope accordingly.

4.Make sure your scope rings and mounts are secure/tight!

5.Let your gun cool down after each groups of 3 shots.

6.Make sure you adjust your up-down and left-right adjustments the right direction.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

Have someone else shoot the gun. If they can consistantly hit the mark, then its you. How much have you ever shot a weapon? If not much, I recommend getting a 22 and do some plinking then start target practicing with your 30-06. Shoot it until your arm hurts, clean the gun then go backout and do it a couple or more sessions.Confidence in the weapon is very important. Once you are confident the gun will hit where you point it then go hunting. You may also be experiancing the fever!
I agree, get another shooter first. then check scope mounts.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

You won't believe me, but I bet you are flinching...

We have about a dozen guests a year hunt on our farms...Before any hunt I have them check their gun, most of the time they shoot about a 3-5 inch group at 100 yards...I then check the gun and it groups within 1 1/2 inches...I have been known to hand a guy an empty gun, tell him its has a round in it when it doesn't, works every time...

Check all your action screws and scope screws...Stick with the same ammo, even good guns have preferences as to what ammo groups best...Get a better setup then the hood of your truck...

Have you got a life vest for your boat??? Put it on, you'd be surprised how this absorbs recoil...You can never be a good rifle shot if you are anticipating the recoil of the gun...

Finally, wear ear plugs, the sound of a shot also makes one flinch, as well as damages your hearing...
Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

haha I have handed a people a gun saying there was a round and watched the gun "kick" as they fired too. Its a good trick. I think a lot of people would be surprised how many people jerk when they pull the trigger. It takes a lot of practice and discipline to become a good shooter. That being said, that is a great rifle, I really doubt something is wrong. The scope is not the best, but unless it has been damaged it should also be ok. It is either your rings, or you. If it is your rings it is possible the scope is moving a little everytime you shoot, causing it to be all over the place. If it is you, then shoot shoot shoot. practice till it is second nature.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 PM

Has the trigger on the gun ever been adjusted? I couldnt get consistant with mine until I adjusted it. It wasnt the guns fault, I was flintching. The trigger pull on a 700 is pretty steep, and no matter how you sike yourself out, you still know when the gun is gonna fire. I have also had a scope that the recticle came loose on. I would check that also. But the 1st thing to do, is have someone else shoot the gun.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with my rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.