Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats wrong with him?

Old 06-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Whats wrong with him?

Here is a picture from early last season. Do you think this guy will still be deformed this year? Do there racks always come back in the same shape for the most part?

Old 06-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Whats wrong with him?

Heres another.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

His pedicles are probably damaged.I thinkthey will grow back the same way only bigger.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

MECHDOC is correct as far as I know. I'm no expert but I believe that the reverse is also true, an injured antler can cause odd growth and the pedicle's blood vessels are altered to support that growth. The next year's antler can then be deformed even if it was not injured. Sort of pedicle memory.

Bob
Old 06-12-2008, 11:40 PM

That is very interesting .
Old 06-13-2008, 01:47 AM
Fork Horn

He could also be injured in the opposite back leg, orhe could have problems with his "package". I guess you can only wait and see.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

from what ive read i agree with joeyg. it looks like there might be something wrong with both sides, if thats the case then he probably has something wrong with his package. he could have been born that way or injured thats my best guess. thanks for sharing the photo very interesting.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like what we call a cactus buck, something wrong with his "package" (reproductive organs, some have part female part male) My cousins kid took a Mule deer like this a few years back, all kinds of weird points and junk with pieces of velvet still hanging off in November. According to my cousin the buck had his dip stick but no Testi's. Been told they can grow horns year round and they don't loose them, just messed up genes.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

I had a deer on my property last year with the exact same type of antler structure. One side grew several points straight up in the air and the other side was a huge 5 point antler. I never did see him during the season, but hopefully he made it through. I'd be curious to see if his rack grew back the same.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna do the politicaly correct thing here, and say that this deer is "autistic."

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with him?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.