Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 maybe some changes in missouri >

maybe some changes in missouri

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

maybe some changes in missouri

Old 12-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default maybe some changes in missouri

i read an article that the MDC is thinking about changing the 4-point rule statewide and instead of antlerless season being after gun season they want to put it in october (i think this would make a ton of guys shoot bucks in antlerless season)
i do not really like either of these ideas
lets hear what you guys think
Old 12-20-2007, 07:30 PM
SST

Default RE: maybe some changes in missouri

I hunt in Mercer County, in the middle of the state, just a few miles south of the Iowa state line. I like the 4-points-on-one-side rule. I hate to see potential monster bucks taken before they have a chance to grow adult headgear. If I just want meat for the freezer, I'll take a doe any day.

As for moving the antlerless season to October, I don't think I'd like that at all. I put up with the warmer temperatures when I bow hunt in October, but there are a lot more deer taken with firearms. Nobody will have enough ice on hand.

The size of Missouri's doe herd will be dramatically reduced by moving the antlerless season to October, simply because there will be more hunters in the woods.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

First, my disclaimer, I prefer bowhunting over gunhunting but do both.

IMO...for the number of quality bucks taken each year to increase to the levels of our neighboring states, Iowa and Illinois, the gun season needs to be overhauled. I think the 4-point rule is agreat startand I hope theyinstitute itstatewide. I would like to see a shotgun or muzzleloader only gun season as well...no high powered rifles for deer hunting. The gun season alsoneeds tobe one of two things: shorter, similar to Illinois, ormoved to December and not open during the middle of the rut, similar to Iowa.

As far as when the anterless season should be, I would prefer it to be in October so there's no chance you shoot a buck that may have dropped his antlers early.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

Personally I'd like to see an 'antlers wider than their ears' rule in effect. Let 'em grow!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:24 PM

I agree with Doubled 150 on this,, Mo has the opportunity to improve the deer and antler quality in the state, I hope they do. Everyone needs to find out when the open meeting is going to be in your area, and attend it to voice our opinions on what we would be interested in. They are planning open to the public meetings during January, and Febuary, Im not sure where to find out where and when they are going to be, but Im going to call my local office and get some info.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Doubled 150

First, my disclaimer, I prefer bowhunting over gunhunting but do both.

IMO...for the number of quality bucks taken each year to increase to the levels of our neighboring states, Iowa and Illinois, the gun season needs to be overhauled. I think the 4-point rule is agreat startand I hope theyinstitute itstatewide. I would like to see a shotgun or muzzleloader only gun season as well...no high powered rifles for deer hunting. The gun season alsoneeds tobe one of two things: shorter, similar to Illinois, ormoved to December and not open during the middle of the rut, similar to Iowa.

As far as when the anterless season should be, I would prefer it to be in October so there's no chance you shoot a buck that may have dropped his antlers early.
Im curious to know why the number of quality of bucks would rise if they stopped letting people use rifles? And shorten the gun season?
I do agree gun hunting in october sounds strange to me. Here in Va. Our bow starts in Oct., and our muzzleloader season runs through the rut. Then lastly gun season opens.
Anyways I plan on gun hunting in Missouri next season with my uncle. He cant pull back a bow anymore. So for my sake I hope the season stays the same.