Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Obsessed with Deer!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Obsessed with Deer!

I didn't start hunting until last Thanksgiving and I'm 37 now. Never had the desire to hunt anything, just fish. My son wanted to hunt so my sister and brother in law were going to take him. He would have been going this year, but last Sept. 1st my BIL got killed in a car accident caused by a deer. He ran completely over one that ran out in front of him. He loved hunting, deer and taking my niece.I thinkthey were almost as excited to take my son as my son was to go. He still wanted to hunt so I bought stuff I needed and hunted. His interests waned a little because he isn't really hunting, he's only 8. He'll get his 22/20 gauge for Christmas and get to practice with it until Turkey season, and hopefully get to carry it.

I'm fortunate that I can hunt where I live and I go 110% into anything. I could probably sit in the woods about 40 total hours a week counting after work and weekends. I just love the solitude and the anticipation. I'm hunting with a bow and muzzleloader, neither of which I had before this year. Bought the bow in August and the ML I got two weeks ago. Killed my only deer, a spike buck, with the bow. I don't think I'm obsessed with deer, just with the challenge. I love turkey hunting also, butall I care to eat are deer and turkey so that's all I hunt. Last year consisted of sitting in the ladder stand wondering what I was doing. After my effort and learning I got my deer the second day of the first year I really hunted and my turkey the second week.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

hillbilly deluxe,glad to see that you got to hunt,to many kids grow up never geting to even try hunting or fishing. someone must have takin time to get you started hunting.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been PASSIONATELY hunting since i was 6 years old, I'm 18 now. Since my grandmother said i was 'obssesed' with deer hunting ina negative, deragatory manner, i shun away from that term, and choose passionate. But i would say i am obsessed also
Old 12-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting is a variety of obsessions, and it can't be overcome.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 AM

I've hunted since I was 10 years old (22 years) and always loved it. But about 3 years ago, I don't know what changed, but I am completely ate up with it now. I'm completely obsessed, it's all I think about, and I don't care. There are a lot worse things to be consumed with.