Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

over obsessed

Old 10-22-2004, 08:56 AM

Default over obsessed

i dont know what to do, I am way to obsessed about hunting! im only 14 and it is my first year hunting, i gave up skate boarding for hunting i also have to buy all my own gear and my dad wont take me. i just have to find older kids at school with cars that will hunt with me. but thats not enough im to much of a hunting fanatic what can i do to settle my urges to hunt?

sincearly,
huntin man Dan
Old 10-22-2004, 09:16 AM

Default RE: over obsessed

Atta boyI too am obsessed with hunting. My dad didn't take me either. I was 15 before I hunted often at all. Older friends with a car were my salvation. I'm 33 and still obsessed, it won't wear off only increase. Read as much as you can about do's and dont's to increase the quality of the time you get to spend afield. Enjoy every minute. Safety is always first, you don't want to cut your time short with an accident. I was a skater as well, we had a 1/2 pipe in the neighborhood and it was tough to quit but I eventually did except for in the off season. Get a job and save your money, you'll need every penney to support your new habit. Where do you live?
Old 10-22-2004, 12:10 PM

just reply to my question okay, please!
Old 10-22-2004, 12:27 PM

Sorry, Nothing satisfies like actually hunting. Go hunt.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

I was in the same boat when I was your age growing up in northern MN and still am obsessed. Why would you want to settle it down anyway?? There is nothing wrong with being excited about hunting just as others get excited about skate boarding or anything in life. There was a point where I was over the top a little but as long as you don't let it affect your schooling or chores around the house I wouldn't worry about it. Don't get me wrong...I'm am getting wound up today thinking about pheasant hunting in the morning and about going to Montana in a few weeks deer hunting. That hasn't changed. If you live close to the SW Mpls area I'd be willing to take you out hunting. I've got a springer that loves to hunt pheasants and I also turkey hunt in the spring too.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Huntinmandan, Let my ask the most important question, is it the rush of killing something or just spending time in the field taking it all in? You need to figure out what you are obsessed with. Mine is the whole thing, my dogs, the birds and beasts I hunt, and the whole eco system they live in. As you are just getting started, the killing part probably has a pretty big grip on you. And it is a big part of the game, that will ease after time is all I can tell you, but once in your blood it will always be there. As for self control part and that is what we are talking about, you need a channel. A hunting dog would help, then it is you and your dog in the field. Every time you are training your dog you are working on your skills too. But the worst part of this game is the cost and that can only be fixed with a job. You earn so you can play. Never stop thinking about it, who knows you might be the next guy with a show on the tube. Enjoy your obsession, just make sure you are the one in control, not your obsession.
Gselkhunter
Old 11-07-2004, 09:27 PM

Woah sombody in my shoes! I'm 15 and I two and am a hunting fanatic. I also give up skateboarding when hunting season comes around. When hunting season comes around I stop hanging out with my skater friends and move to the other side of the school to hang out with my redneck friends and hang out in our el camino's. also when hunting season comes around I replace my skateboarding magazines with outdoorslife, sports afield and ducks unlimited. My dad is disabled so He cant take me but to my advantage I have an uncle who hunts but we only get out a couple of weekends out of dove and pheasant season. I'm just suprised to find sumbody my age who skateboards and hunts!
Old 11-10-2004, 01:55 PM

Huntinmandan

My first impression was your post doesn't sound real. Then when I see your second post I'm convinced you are not on the level with us. If I am mistaken, I'm sorry but one thing I do know is you need to work a little on your manners. Maybe take a course on getting along with people and how to impress them.

I truely hope you are legit but I won't post an answer to you till you convince me you are serious.

Ezzy