Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Muzzleloading and deep snow

Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Muzzleloading and deep snow

Well so far this week we have had 14 inches of snow, yep that's no typo - 14 inches of powdery snow. Muzzleloader season ends this weekend and I have no idea how to hunt in these conditions. I don't know if deer will abandon hayfields for food now and or willthey dig for it?I also have noidea if they go nocturnal now because of the ease in visibility at night because of the snow. Any thoughts?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:02 AM

Default RE: Muzzleloading and deep snow

Are you saying your from Minnesota and don't know how your deer react to snow???????
Old 12-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Spike

i've been out and haven't seen anything moving in the day light. i'm just going to start walking and go to the deer since the are not comming to me the deep snow wont be fun but it's what we get
Old 12-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: USAF_hunter

Are you saying your from Minnesota and don't know how your deer react to snow???????
That is exactly what I am saying. Let me say it again so there is no mistake

I'm from Minnesota and don't know how the deer react to snow.

Is that clear enough for you? Now for the people who aren't a dumbass and want to help - as long as I've been deerhunting, we've never had 14" of snow while the muzzleloader season was still aliveso I've never hunted insnow that deepbefore. I actually noticed this morning that there were a buttload of tracks so they were moving at some point. Knowing that, I may just sit in the stand tonight and see what happens.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mn trucker

i've been out and haven't seen anything moving in the day light. i'm just going to start walking and go to the deer since the are not comming to me the deep snow wont be fun but it's what we get
One good thing is the snow will make you a lot quieter moving through the woods.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find where they are hangin out. They tend to congragate in cetain places when we get this much snow and can differ from pre snow bedding areas and use the same areas year after year. They will move to the ridge tops that have thickets on em. These are their bedding areas. Hunt em early in morn when they come back to those areas or find where they are eating. May not be coming out to the fields when light so get between those bedding areas and their food sources you'll get em. They come to food good for us so we just sit the fields where they are digging it up. Just get out there mid day and find where they are eating and set up on hte trails from bedding to feeding. The rest is easy. Deer are teh easiest to hunt int he snow besides the rut. Good luck put em in the dirt. WCL
Old 12-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Snow is an excellent time to do some walking. (get some snowshoes)Deer stand out well in the white stuff. Back track some trails and see where they are feeding and where they are bedding. Pay attention to the terrain. Keep your eyes open and do a lot of glassing. If you jump them out of their beds, back off and get in there early morning and wait them out. Or get down wind of their bedding area in the afternoon and wait for them to start moving.

The food sources won't change much this time of year since there aren't many choices. If you have an acorn crop hunt the oak flats. Pay attention to species as they will walk past 20 acres of red oaks to find a ggod crop of white oak acorns. Its either that or browse, small saplings and branch ends.

Meadow grasses won't be pawed at again til next spring.(unless you have some brassica planted) It's not worth their energy to dig through the snow as there is not much nutritional content in grass, mostly Lignin(fiber) and all the forbs, or herbaceous perennialshave literally melted with the frosts. When you see deer feeding in a field, they are typically not eating grass, but the weeds or forbs growing with the grases. Except for very young grass and some rye's its really not a big deer food, and the protein content is lacking.

Get out there and watch them, you'll figure them out. They are out there, go find them. So what if you jump them. If you watch they'll run 50 or 100 yards and stop. They will come back, albeit down wind if they can circle you. Funny thing about deer, if they are running they can't hear you running. If you jump them run down wind of them and hide behind a tree. Wait a while and see what happens. If they were bedded they want to go back to bed. They will either move off a short distance and lay down or try to come back.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do like the Benoits, get on a track and run them down....
Old 12-05-2007, 10:17 PM

We have less than a half foot here, but right after it snowed, it misted, then froze. So every step you take it sounds like you're cracking ice (which you are). Luckily, the deer are still able to eat in the corn fields.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:24 AM

They move less in deep snow. I snowmobile northen Maine and when we see em they just look at us. When ya shut off the engine they run , buts its only like 30 yrds to begind some cover. During midday see if you can find a stand of pine trees. when there you will notice the snow is probably only 3-4 inches under the pines.