Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys and deep snow

Old 02-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkeys and deep snow

We have had a good bit of snow hear in the north east. How much snow do you think it takes before it really start to hurt the turkeys???
Old 02-25-2003, 04:12 PM

Default RE: Turkeys and deep snow

I sure hope the answer is lots because we got plenty. Ask Bosstom, he lives in snow country.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

We' ve had 10" + of snow coving the ground since x-mas and the turkeys I' m seeing seem to be doing just good. In the rain last weekend it soften the snow up a little. I watched a group of gobblers traveling across a field and they keep sinking in. My buddy seen them today (longbeards) and they were on the snow running off a few jakes that were trying to mix in with the big boys group.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-25-2003, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good question there Longbeard!If I had to guess though I would say if it effects the food source enough to where they cant get at it,it definately could turn into an ugly situation!Out here we have trouble believe it or not more with the heat and drought conditions, primarily on poults!
Old 02-25-2003, 06:49 PM

Up here in the U.P (Upper Michigan) we get alot of snow this year hasent been too bad but most years we get 3-4 feet of snow where i hunt, They say the turkeys wouldent survive up here if it werent for the people feeding them in the winter.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think an inch of ice hurts them as much or more than a big snow. I have heard of turkeys setting in the tree for several days during a bad winter storm, they know how to survive, if they did' nt we would' nt have any cause everything in the woods with a tooth and claw {and shotgun} are after them.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well funny thing you brought this topic up,, just yesterday I took a drive to the postoffice and Noticed turkeys Everywhere! the flocks are scattered,and mixed , I did see birds on a south side hill in a field and you could tell the snow level was not as deep. The birds where in fence rows , in peoples yards, out by the road, I believe the deep snow is playing hard on them. Now on the level here we have about 2 1/2 feet but back a couple of weeks ago, there was freezing rain that covered the snow aswell. The birds do still look ok, just a little slack, I sure hope we get a mild spell soon , last night it hit -30 here. I won' t be long before there going to take it bad ...BT
Old 02-26-2003, 06:14 AM

Hhmm I tried to edit my post and lost the whole thing lol, here it is again:

Deep snow isn' t all that much of a problem by itself, however long periods of deep soft snow where they can' t walk around without sinking real deep combined with really cold weather can affect them for sure. In my hunting area there has been 18-24 inchs of snow since the begining of the year and I can still see where they have been getting around. They will find areas to feed and things to eat even if they can' t dig through all of it.