Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deep Snow Tactics? >

Deep Snow Tactics?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deep Snow Tactics?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Deep Snow Tactics?

Right now their is over 10 inches of snow on the ground, and besides being a pain in the ass to walk through...is it worth it to go out hunting? We have till Sunday here in Ohio, and im willing to put in as many stand hours as possible. Now when i went and hung a stand earlier today, the only tracks i cut across were within 20 yards of my house, and theylooked like they belonged toa group of 5 deer that were cruising through the valley behind my house. The standI plan on hunting is on over 200 acres of cut corn, in a fence row thatdivides two sections of field. It is marked with the red star:

Now im looking for some quick opinions before i go out tonight. But i will also be in the stand on Saturday evening (and possibly Saturday and Sunday morning). Im currently at 95 deer sightings while bowhunting this year, and im looking to bump that number up over 100. My first bowkill of the year would be nice too , but my chance at a good buck doesn't seem very high at the moment (Thats if they even still have antlers here, some have dropped already). Any opinions or tips for deep snow late winter hunting would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deep Snow Tactics?

You should be happy you have 10" of snow on the ground. It makes hunting allot easier, specially If you have food around In that cut cornfield. Set up for the right wind and hunt that field or the trails leading to that field.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

You should be happy you have 10" of snow on the ground. It makes hunting allot easier, specially If you have food around In that cut cornfield. Set up for the right wind and hunt that field or the trails leading to that field.
Great advice Steve! I wouldn't know what deep snow was (here in SE Pa)if I fell into it.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Caleb, we got somewhere in the 4-5" range Tuesday. I goose hunted that night, on a cut corn field (nothing short of 200 acres). The deer POURED out of the blocks of timber. One minute we were getting out of the pit, the next there's 30-40 deer standing 200 yards from us. When we went back out Wednesday there were tracks and trails covering the field, and the deer had dug through the snow to get to the ears of corn. Really cool, wish I would have taken a picture. Good luck, and most importantly BE SAFE AND STAY WARM!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Safe...check

Warm...[:@]

Deer....[:'(]

I did cut across some tracks on my way in, and i had about 30 turkeys around my tree all day, but no deer sightings. I could see far and wide and nothing came out. I might try a noon hunt on Saturday.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM

i went out today on a scouting expedition...up here in northern wi we have 2+ feet of snow on the ground..made for a great woorkout...when the snow gets heavy like this, the does herd up and stick together...the trails i've encountered looked like 2 lane highways...its a great time to get out and pattern the late season deer...just get a pair of snowshoes..i wish i did..... good luck this weekend
Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Ditto!!

I love to hunt snow. There was 12" on the ground when I killed my "07" Muley. I plan on doing some indepth Snow scouting here Sat. A lot of times you can find pinc points and funnels in snow that are Not real obvious otherwise.

Dan
Old 01-31-2009, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well i have been out 3 times this week now in the snow. Twice over the above pictures cornfeild and once over one of my hayfeilds. All 3 times resulted in 0 deer sightings. I have seen plenty of turkeys andeven afew hawks though. As of now im nota real big fan of this deep snow hunting.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Well i have been out 3 times this week now in the snow. Twice over the above pictures cornfield and once over one of my hayfields. All 3 times resulted in 0 deer sightings. I have seen plenty of turkeys andeven afew hawks though. As of now im nota real big fan of this deep snow hunting.
Apparently the deer aren't around, trust me man they'd be there otherwise.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a feeling they have been taking refuge in a few of the uncut corfeilds down the road [:@]

Quick Reply: Deep Snow Tactics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.