Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bitter Sweet Night....UPDATED W/PICS

Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bitter Sweet Night....UPDATED W/PICS

So, I set up in the stand 2 hours before dark. No wind, 40 degress, great day to be in the woods. 40 minutes till dark I see movement far off to my left. I scope it and it turns out to be a piebald doe heading away from me. After some thought to myself, I figured I need to get this deer out of the herd. I harvested a piebald earlier this season with my bow, so I was excited to maybe get two in one season. Had no range finder, but figured it was about 100-120 out. Put the scope to her, she turns broaside and I let one go. She ran about four feet and stopped. Put her back in the scope and pulled one off again. Missed again! She runs off for 20 yards and stops, then stands there and starts grazing. Figured I would let her go since I already missed twice, so I start scanning around. Hear some footsteps behind me and there stands a doe 30-40 yards away. I turn towards her with the tree blocking my movement, and scope her. She is quartering towards me, looking up at the tree. I put the crosshairs a little forward on the left shoulder and pulled the trigger. She jumps and heads right for my stand, runs another 30 yards and I hear the crash. Wait for about30 minutes and climb down. Walked to where she had crossed the atv road and look for blood. I don't see any at first and had left my light in my other bag, so I call my buddy and tell him I need hislight. While standing on the atv road, I hear movement right in front of me, the piebald circled all theway around me and was standing 10 feet from me. My stupid a$$ left the gun at the base of the tree, so I am thinking to myself, "Can I manhandle this thing on my own...without a weapon?". I'm quite a big guy and the deer was pretty small, so I am thinking this could happen......some primal hunting. Anyway, the deer turns and heads in the other direction, no chance to test my manhood. So, my buddy shows up and we find the blood trail and soon find my deer. It turned out to be a very small button buck, so I was a little bummed, but happy to finally get some more meat! All in all, it was a successful hunt with some up close and personal action. Sorry for the long read, just had to share my story.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bitter Sweet Night....(long)

The trick to "manhandling" a deer is to get an ear in your mouth so that you can use both hands to block the hooves as they beat the day lights out of you. Just Kidding.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Yah, everyone is telling me I would get my butt kicked, but I think a rear naked choke might do the trick!! Is it even legal or I guess the better question is, is it ethical? We all say traditional hunting is a bow with no training wheels, how did the cavemen do it??? Spears, trap, head to head??? I'm sure people have thought about this before....any feelings on the issue? Would you go mano e deero? This would be with a smaller sized deer by the way.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Maryland_Whitetail

Yah, everyone is telling me I would get my butt kicked, but I think a rear naked choke might do the trick!! Is it even legal or I guess the better question is, is it ethical? We all say traditional hunting is a bow with no training wheels, how did the cavemen do it??? Spears, trap, head to head??? I'm sure people have thought about this before....any feelings on the issue? Would you go mano e deero? This would be with a smaller sized deer by the way.
I have to admit I'm laughing as I read your post, but I'd have to sayattempting to kill a doe with you bare hands probably wouldn't gain you any headway with the anti groups! I'd put money on it that she'd flail you so hard you'd still feel it next season!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've found the most effective technique with a buck greater than twelve points is to run it down, raise it up over you're head, and body slam it. Be careful not to damage the rack. Of course, with a doe that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

The trick to "manhandling" a deer is to get an ear in your mouth so that you can use both hands to block the hooves as they beat the day lights out of you. Just Kidding.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bitter Sweet Night....UPDATE!!

Well, the second piebald has bit the dust. Shot last night around 4:15. Walked within 25 yards and sent the lead down range. Ran for maybe 30 yards and piled up. I feel pretty fortunate to get two of these in one season, but I am also worried that my woods are full of piebalds. Anyhoo, the first was shot my first day in the stand with the bow:

The second during shotgun:

Old 12-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you know how to apply the "step over toe hold" on a deer you could handle him

dd
Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats few have shot one much less two in a season. If your woods are full of them become an outfitter. People will pay good money to hunt on of those.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, nice deer. You mounting them?

Quick Reply: Bitter Sweet Night....UPDATED W/PICS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.