Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Finally had a shot and missed.  How do you cope? >

Finally had a shot and missed. How do you cope?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finally had a shot and missed. How do you cope?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:18 PM

Default RE: Finally had a shot and missed. How do you cope?

ORIGINAL: XPatriot

ORIGINAL: kevin1

What's the big deal? Anybody who says they've never missed and means it is lying, and at least you didn't wound it. Move on.
I have never missed a deer.

Never shot at one either.

Maybe I should go to one of those high fence places.
You probably won't miss one with a rifle, but I'll bet you miss at least one with your bow. The second deer I shot at with the xbow ducked the arrow and escaped with a minor wound.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Finally had a shot and missed. How do you cope?

We all miss, how do you think I felt last year during opening week of archery I missed 4 deer with my bow. Opening morning shot under a doe, over a 4pt. few days later shot just in front of a 6pt at 30 yard but at perfect height, then the following day from spitting distance deflected my arrow off a tiny branch and totally missed a 8pt. Granted I attribute a lot of that to the "Buck Fever" as it was only my second year hunting and I'd only taken 1 doe in my life at the time the previous gun season. This year though I just practiced more and more with my bow and last weekend of archery took my first archery deer with a perfect double lung shot. I even would bring a couple of my old arrows up in my treestand in the quiver with target tips on them and every day throughout the season find a point that I estimated at about 20 or 30 yards (usually near the base of a tree) and took a couple practice shots into the dirt each time before I got down to leave for the day. Yea you might question the logic of making noise near my stand position, but I'll tell you what by the last week of the season I felt very confident in my shot placement and all that practice made it very automatic when I took my first archery deer.