Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Extremely Frustrating

Old 12-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Extremely Frustrating

I hunt a property similiar to that...I killed 3 does during bow season...Seems right after Thanksgiving things get slow for about 2 weeks, then it picks up again...
I think part of it is that the does are avoiding the bucks, don't want to be bothered by them until they come in...Wait it out, it will pick up again...
Old 12-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

I am in GA too but hunt mostly Oconee area. Most of my luck with bucks has been the second rut in early December. I got one checking his scrape and the other came in to a doe bleat. Both were mid day.

This year I have already bagged 2 does, so am working on a buck.

Stick with it, and good luck
Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

ORIGINAL: walker12

In the first four hunts of this season here in N. Georgia, my hunting buddies and I saw huge amounts of deer, one day amounting to 50+ deer. Now, for the past few weeks, they have disappeared. Even the mexican workers at the farm haven't seen any deer lately.

I'm kicking myself now, because I haven't even taken a doe this year, passing up on several shooters earlier in the season hoping for bigger, better things later in the season. Why is this happening, and where in the world are the deer???
I would check with the Chicono's ....maybe thier killing them and sending them back to Tijuana

dd
As much as I would like to blame it on them, they are good, ethical Mexicans. Except one took a small six earlier this season and was threatened to be fired if it happened again.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 PM

Skyguy, I'm not too far from you. Right up the road. I hunt in Hartwell.

The water source thing makes sense, but I have NEVER seen a deer drinking before. I would love to see it, though. My favorite stand it actually right next to the dam of a 35 acre lake and its feeder creek. I haven't hunted it in about a month because the leaves in that particular spot are about a foot deep, and make it extremely hard to be stealthy.

My next question is: Is the water source theory reliable enough that I should take the risk of making a loud entrance, and do y'all suggest that stand in the morning or at night? It's got a thick food plot ten yards in front of it, thick woods to the right, and a dam (with a decent amount of deer traffic) to the left which seperates the creek from the lake.