Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 extremely HOTT!!! barrel on a 30-30? >

extremely HOTT!!! barrel on a 30-30?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

extremely HOTT!!! barrel on a 30-30?

Old 02-14-2006, 09:21 PM

Default extremely HOTT!!! barrel on a 30-30?

I was just reading a post about burnt out barrels and was reading a reply from bigbulls which reminded me of how my higher power Ultra mag rifles heat up a bit hotter than what my .308, 30-06, 270, 243, 300 win mag and 338 win mag. Ok, this is notthe issue...I expected these differences when I baught them so they were no suprise to me.

However, about 3 years ago I purchased a 30-30 with an octagon barreland after firing3 rounds, it would actually burn my hand.... this was without a doubt the HOTTEST!!! that I have ever felt a barrel get.

Is this normal with an octagon barrel, I was using factory winchester ammo with 150 bullets. It suprized me especially coming from a 30-30?

anyone have this happen to them before?
Old 02-14-2006, 11:19 PM

Default RE: extremely HOTT!!! barrel on a 30-30?

I'm no expert, but do know a little about metal. Maybe it's the grade of metal or has to do with pressures. The 30/30 is an old cartridge and many old guns were made for low pressures, under 30,000psi.

I would have to check with others though. James B, BigBulls and Big Country are some good gun guys for info. I'm a flatlander who loves rifles and shooting them.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

how fast did you shoot the 3 rounds, how long of a period between the shots? that might explain alot. also an octagon barrel due its shape might not disipate heat as quickly and say a round barrel.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wild Outdoorsman

I'm no expert, but do know a little about metal. Maybe it's the grade of metal or has to do with pressures. The 30/30 is an old cartridge and many old guns were made for low pressures, under 30,000psi.

I would have to check with others though. James B, BigBulls and Big Country are some good gun guys for info. I'm a flatlander who loves rifles and shooting them.
True. But it has always operated at about the same pressures as it does today, and at least the Winchester rifles chamered for the .30 WCF have always been made from "NICKEL STEEL ESPECIALLY FOR SMOKELESS POWDER".
Old 02-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Is the gun a mainstream Marlin/Winchester or is it an Italian/? reproduction of a winchester? Where is itfrom and whenwas itmade, may have a lot to do with it. Alot of those repros always seemed to be made for lots of showing and very little shooting.Who makes it.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:20 PM

Winchester makesthe gun. AndI was taking about 4 seconds between the first 3 shots...after that I couldnt even hold onto the forearm it was so hot, so I waited about 5 or 6 minutes untill I shot again.

This is the reason why I thaught it could be due to the barrel's shape or possible the metal that was used to make the barrel. But I have 2 other octagon barrels on guns that don't get that hot; atleast not that quick....they do infact get hot to the touch but its more like after 12-15 rounds of very fast shooting without a pause at all.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure why it would get that hot that quick. Were these the first three shots you fired out of the gun that day or three consecutive shots after a short waiting period after three shots after a short waiting period, etc...?

Being an octagon barrel it should take longer to heat up due to there being more steel there to absorbe the heat.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:31 PM

A friend of mine has a Colt 7mm mag. Its the same way. I've never seen a barrel get as hot as his does. I set his scopes for him and that is the worst gun trying to set a scope on. YOu have to wait about 15mins b/t shots. I fired three back to back shots with it and it actually left a little burn place on my finger tip.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:43 PM

I don't want to be the idiot on the boards, but....... Was this done in the summer sun? Just one of those really simply things that might make more difference than you think. I've been on few hunts where my SxS was too hot to touch (which is easily done by accident on a SxS) without firing a single shot. Of course, on days that hot its hard not to notice the heat.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:53 AM

Bigbulls,
It was actually a winchester that was new in boxand was manufactured in1965 and never been fired. The 3 shots I took with it where the first 3 shots it ever had fired through it. I shot it on a day that was very breezy and the temperature was about 70 degrees. I own a couple other rifles with octagon barrelsand they get hot too but not that quickly.(they get hot after 12-15 quickly fired rounds) Anyways,I only fired 7 shots through the gunand now its in my collection (I primarily baught this gun for my collection and not to hunt with) So it doesn't bother me to put it away. It is a beautiful gun none the less.

I just thaught that it was strange...And I see that a couple of others on here think its odd too.