Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bedding Areas

Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bedding Areas

Is a good idea to set upwhere deer might be bedding down? I jumped a few of them while scouting for a tree to set up in next week. I have sat on some trails and scrapes on my property but haven't seen anything. I know there is deer back there because I see them about 20 yards from my fence; even had a buck inside my fence in my backyard. What are your thoughts?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 PM

Default RE: Bedding Areas

Sure it is ok to set up over a bedding area. I know a few people who have tried that but just be careful not to scare the deer out of there. Good Luck
Old 11-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure if they are bedding there...but there were about 3-4 of them in vicinity of the tree I was going to use. Whats the best time to get in there....monring, afternoon....?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:58 PM

I had the same exact problem earlier this season. Get in there a little after lunch, or sit all day. I was careless and ended up jumping a nice buck twice, and haven't gone back to that stand in about a month, because I want to let it settle down. I definitely wouldn't try the morning, because with leaves covering the ground now (at least where I am), it's almost impossible to get to your stand undetected.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: walker12

I had the same exact problem earlier this season. Get in there a little after lunch, or sit all day. I was careless and ended up jumping a nice buck twice, and haven't gone back to that stand in about a month, because I want to let it settle down. I definitely wouldn't try the morning, because with leaves covering the ground now (at least where I am), it's almost impossible to get to your stand undetected.
If you need to hunt a bedding area, it's imperative you get in there way before the deer get back in there. hang your stand at night when they are out feeding, then get in there early.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

I went in this morning early. About an hour before sun-up. It was a nasty, rainy windy day not in my favor. I caught a glimpse of one about 5 yards away but it never appeared. I think there is a thick area they go into. I walked down late in the morning to see if there was any sign. None really but I found a better place to set up with out spooking them going to and from the area. A couple of questions: What are typical deer patterns going to and from feedings and beddings? Another is: I know there are deer all over back there but I have not seen any sign; however I have seen a couple of rubs 15 feet apart and about 100 yards into the woodline from the neighborhood I live. Should I hunt the rub line or more where I "think" I would see more deer?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

You want to hunt bedding areas in the morning. Think about it... They are out feeding during the night (nocturnal) and come into bed during daybreak. If you get there before them, they will be around you. If you come in the afternoon, you will be scaring them from their beds.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:13 PM

Andre the Lone Wolf he use "bump and dump" method and shot a couple booner by doing that. Put the stand up the same day you jumped a deer and get in your stand next morning real early or when the wind is in your favor.