Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Doe bedding areas, where are they???????? >

Doe bedding areas, where are they????????

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Doe bedding areas, where are they????????

Old 10-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Doe bedding areas, where are they????????

I have read that doe bedding areas are great morning stands during the rut but my question is how do you find doe bedding areas? What signs do I need to look for (besides a bedded down doe). How do I know I have found one once I find the signs?This is just aquestion that has been on my mind that I haveyet to find the anwser to.

thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Spike

Default RE: Doe bedding areas, where are they????????

Tbyrd, a person could write a book about just that one topic. I'll give one example, this past Saturday was sunny and nice, after a period of overcast days. The does were mostly bedded down in fields of tall grass. That way they could get some sun but still be covered up. You live in Kentucky? Wooded, moderate hills right? Look on the on the top of the peaks on the downwind side. That way the wind will carry the scents up and over from the other side, and they can see down the side they are sitting on. Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

They are very difficult to find especially if the beds are made!!!!

It usually takes a lot of walking and once you find a bedding area there is no guarantee they will use it more than once, due to preditors. Look for fattened down grass along fence rows next to patchesofwoodsor food plots, (crops). Ifyou hunt an areawith ponds on it check the dam side of the ponds. Deer always bed down with the thought of escape so look for good escape routes.An open field with a good line of vision is a good place to look as well. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:51 AM

The best way to find bedding areas is to go into the area you hunt shortly after a snowfall and follow the tracks around until you see the beds.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:35 AM

Disguise yourself as a doe and wait for the crowd to move! Just kidding. It really is about looking in areas that seem likely/appropriate for bedding areas.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look for Poop.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Look for Poop.
One place I hunt, if I just looked for poop, I would find all kinds of DOG POOP from my buddies ancient retriever that is the father of most puppies/young dogs in the area.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

when looking for deer beds look where there is a circle impressed into the leaves it will mostly be about 3 foot by one foot wide another good place is to look in tall grass becuase deer love to bede down there also.
but when you find one look at it for a couple of seconds and leave immedialty if you are not wearing scent proof clothing because if the deer find out that some one has found there bed they will move and bed some where else