Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Blinds How effective???????

Old 11-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Blinds How effective???????

Ok I have an Ameristep "Doghouse".We can't leave our Blinds set up over night.Is this still a problem with Deer?I've seen where they have fake Leaves that you can throw over the Blind it looks good,I was wondering if this helps?

Truth every once in awhile I try the Blind,but then I find myself just backing up in some brush or next to a Log.And having good luck.

I'm sorry I have the Blind but I really wish I had more faith in it.

big rockpile
Old 11-22-2007, 10:19 PM

Lots of good blinds out there. I bought a Blind from Lucky's tent company about a dozen years ago........still using it today!!!! I have tried many others, but none as sturdy and durable as my ( now I have 6 ) Lucky's blinds. Many are custom made to my specifications.........they are a great company.........and all 100% american made. Just my 2 cents.....

Dan

Old 11-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use pop up blinds on a regular basis and killed more than a dozen deer and hogs. I will admit that I have been busted (by does, never a buck) a couple of times, but for as much time as I have spent in them, that is not too bad.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:43 PM

Better than any tree stands I have used. I see way more deer in a ground blind. They conceal movement, which is important if you get inpatient like I tend to...LOL! I hang scent wicks20 or so feetaway on all sides in casethe wind changes direction.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love'em. I use them more often than treestands anymore. So much easier to hide. Keeps you out of the wind. Contains your scent. You can move around in them... have a snack, kick up your feet, read a book, play cards whatever you want.

The first time I ever hunted out of one two seasons ago, I put it up in the middle of an old logging path that ran between two old rice paddys (basically a dike road). I had two gobblers walk not 15 yards from the thing (and keep in mind I was in the middle of the road), and water and dust for ten minutes... never gave me a glance! That same evening, I shot a doe at 60 yards. Worked like a charm and continues to. I've taken deer and turkeys with the bow out of one (in fact I now own two ground tents).

I don't leave mine in the woods. I set it up just before I hunt, and I move it around to keep the deer guessing. Deer will learn where your set up is VERY fast.. which is why climbers work so well. Your best chance to kill a deer is the first time you hunt a stand. With the portable ground blind... every hunt is the first time for that spot (if you make it that way).
Old 11-25-2007, 11:11 AM

Yes I have one and they are great. I don't think you need to put it out weeks ahead of time. And I do what you are talking about, putting some brush by you or around you. Works well.