Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best deer blinds?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Best deer blinds?

Hi, I have decided that,because it is my first deer hunt, it would be more convenient to use a ground blind. It will be for gun hunting and scouting I will also use it in an experiment for my science fair project(which i will post about later). i need some information about them(Pop-up, or natural?) If pop-up what brand or model?If natural how should it be constructed? Ineed it by tomorrow,or wednessday. Anything would be useful! thank you! -Linkppn
Old 11-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best deer blinds?

I bought my first pop up last year. Once I got it to the woods I noticed the camo pattern didn't match real good. However I put it out a month or so before the season and opening morning I had doe that walked within a few yards of me. So I can't complain. I feel more comfortable in the blind and feel I can move around a little more without drawing attn. to myself. I also don't know what affect the blind will have on my scent. Ive never heard people discuss this. It is also convenient to be able to move it if need be.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

The "best" is probably the Double Bull brand....but they'll set you back some coin. I turkey hunt out of my friend's (upper grade Ameristep) and my brother's Eastman...all worked well.

I'm saving up for this one though:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0046701418054a

It's super easy to get chairs, etc in and out without the ruckus of tent zippers.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Big Game Treestands Eclipse Pop-up and I love it. Keeps the wind and rain off me. I think it helps with scent, as well. Plenty roomy, lots of visibility and shoot-through screens.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Natural blinds work just fine and cost nothing but your time and effort, if you go with a pop-up though select a cheap one first rather than splurging on an expensive blind that you may later decide you don't like. You can always upgrade. Another thing to consider is how much weight you're prepared to pack in with you, and bow hunters also have to consider head room for their bow. Many pop-ups are far less than bow friendly, especially for trad bow hunters. If you only gun hunt try an Ameristep Outhouse™ or Doghouse™, both are light, cheap, very portable, and easy to set up. They come in a range of patterns nowadays, although I've used one in their Tangle™ pattern for over 6 years now with few negative reactions. A pop-up has several advantages over a self constructed natural blind, notably enhanced protection from the elements. Their principle disadvantage is that they don't always match the terrain you hunt, but brushing them in and being careful with your back drop can get around this.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought an Ameristep Doghouse blind in the Tangle pattern from Gander Mountain for $59.99. (I just checked and it is actually the Grizzly G-20 blind that is the same as the Doghouse except it doesn't have the little leaves sewn onto it.)

I set it up at 4:00 in the afternoon on a hill on my property and saw deer out of it that evening thatdidn't even give it a second look.The spot that I put it had some tall weeds around it and I just knocked down the weeds in front of the window.

I had quail within 2 feet of the blind during the day while I was sitting in it. I was really happy with it and it really was pretty easy to setup and take down. I bought one of the Outhouse blinds and tried it out before I went out and it was much harder to get folded up than the Doghouse version and it didn't have near as much room. The Doghouse blind had several other features like tent poles for the roof and high wind tie down stakes that were well worth the $20 extra over the Outhouse version.

I'll probably end up building a wooden blind where I was setup this week, but I'll keep the ground blind for turkey hunting.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Ameristep doghouse. $49 at walmart. Love it.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:15 PM

My 3 favorites are:
1. Afallen tree with lots of branches to sit in. I try to find one with a branch to sit on where I can lean back on another one to pass the time, and one I can use as a shooting rail.
2. The other afternoon I pushed my way back into a cedar tree and just snapped off a couple branches to provide a better place to sit and lean up against the trunk and give me some shooting room. I snuggled up in there, took a nap for about a half hour, then shot a nice buck about an hour after that.
3. Sit up against a large tree on top of a tall creek bank.

I use all 3 of these with no problem, I have a doghouse blind but I just don't like being confined like that I want to be able to just crawl 5-10 feet this way or that to get "the right shot" if need be.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Thanks guys, I bought an ameristep blind and got it set up today! Thanks for the input!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would make a natural blind. Much as the title says, it looks very natural, unlike a popup blind. Popups arent bad either. Just cover them with branches or something that will make it look like a pile of whatever. Each have their own advantages.