Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wisconsin public hunting or outfitter >

Wisconsin public hunting or outfitter

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wisconsin public hunting or outfitter

Old 11-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Default RE: Wisconsin public hunting or outfitter

AMEN!

ORIGINAL: highview72

It all depends on what you want from the experience. If you want solitude, wilderness, and 10's of miles of public forest to hunt, go north. The deer density is lower but so is the pressure and hunters per acre. If you want to see more deer but dont mind seeing lots of other hunters and chased deer, stay in the lower one third of the state. I live about 20 miles north of Green Bay just on the edge of farming and the start of the big woods. I see many more deer near my home and south including some big ones too but for me, im not deer hunting unless im up in the big woods. Especially during the gun deer season. I want to be at the traditional deer camp. I would rather shoot a 6 pointer from the deer camp than shoot an 8 from the farm. To me, you havent experienced deer hunting until you have stayed in a deer camp up north.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:00 PM

I've hunted some public land in Lacrosse county (two counties south of Buffalo and right on the Mississippi River). The "Coulee Experimental Forest" seemed to have very few deer, I actually know a guy that owns some land adjacent to there and he will back me up on that one. I spent much more time at the "Van Loon Wildlife Area" and that is a much better place to find deer. It's about 6000 acres, the access is very limited and no motorized vehicles are allowed so you can get several miles in from the parking areas to get away from the crowds. During gun season you'll see lots of hunters but not very many deer hunters during bow season, but you will see squirrel & duck hunters.
For themoney though you'd be much better off going to an outfitter. Save yourself the frustration and worry so you can just enjoy the hunting!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wisconsin is a very varied area, each holding their advantages. The northern forests are vastly untouched by people, so the deer have a chance to grow a bit more. Its not very wise just to follow a deer trail, because you can go 3 feet and there will be a deer trail, and that can go on for miles. Just find a couple of scrapes/rubs, and set up by them.