Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question about Wisconsin Public Hunting >

Question about Wisconsin Public Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about Wisconsin Public Hunting

Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question about Wisconsin Public Hunting

All you WI guys out there, I got a question. Has anyone ever hunted the public hunting spots around Racine or Waterford? I believe there are 3 or 4 listed in the hunting guide, but I cant remember the names. Maybe honey lake WMA? Or Tichigan WMA? Not sure but if anyone is from around that area, you will know which ones im talking about.

Any information you can provideas far as the quality of hunting will be appreciated.

My wife is from that area, and every year I say Im going to hunt up there, but never do.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:43 PM

Default RE: Question about Wisconsin Public Hunting

Though I haven't hunted any of the public areas in down that way, here's what I can tell you from living in the area during the school year. The Tichigan, which is outside Waterford, the parking area on hwy 83, never seemed to be real active during bow season at all, maybe a car or two here and there. During gun season it was the same way (I take the back route home to Portage from Racine, hwy 20 to 83, 83 to the I at Delafield - its a fun drive at 65mph) I can tell you that after looking at topos and aerials of the tract - I want to give it a shot!

The Bong rec area is supposed to be very nice - but also highly pressured. I haven't heard of the Honey Lake area before, but I always come back north to hunt.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question about Wisconsin Public Hunting

Thanks Austin,
Yeah her parents live on the Tichigan. So the preserve is right acroos the street from them. I may just have to check it out this fall.