Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Northern Wisconsin Public Land >

Northern Wisconsin Public Land

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Northern Wisconsin Public Land

Old 06-19-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Northern Wisconsin Public Land

I've been thinking about making a run up to Northern Wisconsin for a 5 day rifle hunt. I've ordered the Chequamegon National Forest map, and several topos. My only concern is baiting. I've read on several other forums that alot of folks bait up there. Is that a problem that effects the natural movement and dispersal of deer in the Wisky North woods. I was hunting in the george Washington National Forest(Virginia) a few years back, and as I was sneaking along a promising ridge top trail I ran smack into a huge pile of apples. That stuff kinda ruins the whole deep woods expierience.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:20 AM

Default RE: Northern Wisconsin Public Land

I know a lot of people have cabins up there. You can drive along the fire roads all day and see a lot of orange in the woods. A lot of people have been hunting that public land for many years. I would bet you will be hard pressed to find someplace that isn't already spoken for... Good luck.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:02 PM

Default RE: Northern Wisconsin Public Land

just as hunting public land anyplace, get away from the roads and cabins. most of us lazy WI hunters only walk a little ways to our stand and sit for a few hours anyway. Lots of hunters in morning and evening, and the deer know. Some guys I know that kill deer every year hunt all day and shoot quite a few while everyone else is home eating lunch. Good luck