Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Ameristep blinds or any type of blind >

Ameristep blinds or any type of blind

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ameristep blinds or any type of blind

Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ameristep blinds or any type of blind

Hey guys got a question to ask. Does anyone hunt out of pop-up blinds and does these blinds spook deer or is it just a myth? I have heard deer seem to pick up on these blinds. Let me know. Thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ameristep blinds or any type of blind

Deer will pick up on any strange object that wasn't there before. I've hunted from pop-ups for several years now, and while it does spook them at first they calm down once they realize that the new object doesn't move, then they usually just go about their business. The newer ones with the blacked out interiors seem to spook them more than the older ones, something about those "black holes" I guess. I keep my windows zipped up to "murder slits" to avoid this.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM

I use the doghouse pop-up blind and usually go about a week ahead of the hunt to setup and anchor down so they get time to be used to it....For a fat boy that likes to hunt and can't find a good tree stand I love my pop-up blind...
Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

I use an Ameristep "doghouse" blind as well.Had them walk right by at 10 feet.I set it up a couple weeks before season opened.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

I hate the one that I have,I don't know what it's called but whenever it rains the roof caves in and I have to make so much noise fixing it I don't see any deer anyways. I'm not going to use it next year: 1. Because a pole broke. 2. Both times I set it up in a super spot I never saw any deer sign after. ARRGHHHH[:@]
Old 11-05-2007, 02:25 PM

I use one as well in the early part of the season... primarily because leaves usually obscure your vision in the early part of our seasons in GA. I, too, go out a few weeks early and set mine up to minimize "spooking" of deer. I use one of the lesser expensive "outhouse" blinds and I'll open all 4 viewports to eliminate the "black hole" effect. It does expose the back of my head, but I'd rather risk them seeing the top of my head move than silhouette me against a nice black background.

One thing you might want to try and do is get used to only zipping the openings down far enough for you to barely be able to look over with a minimal amount of movement. Especially with one of the lesser expensive blinds. If you have a hard time sitting still, I would invest in one of the blinds that have the "shoot through" mesh windows. IIRC, they don't have the black interior and show much less movement inside the blinds, plus, they don't have the "black hole" effect mentioned by kevin1.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the roundhouse 360 by ameristep. The deer dont seem to mind after its been set up for awhile. Now when Im out turkey hunting and set it up in the middle of a field the deer act like its the plague. the shoot through mesh does the trick for me. I also use a bow and not a firearm with it. If you use a firearm:
1. make sure the muzzle is OUTSIDE THE BLIND
2. wear ear protection of any kind, even rolled up TP or paper towels.
I about blew my ears out shooting a turkey out of my blind when I didnt stick the barrel out the window.... Stupid.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

The good Doctor has killed a lot of deer out of tent blinds ...you do need to cut some brush and put around the blind to make it as natural looking as you can but if your rifle hunting it won't spook a deer in most cases ....

dd