Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Making mock scrapes >

Making mock scrapes

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Making mock scrapes

Old 08-20-2004, 07:18 PM

Default Making mock scrapes

when do u make mock scrapes in VA
Old 08-20-2004, 08:08 PM

Default RE: Making mock scrapes

You can make mock scrapes at any time in va.Deer make and use scrapes all year long.They just dont get aggressive until pre-rut which is usally around the 2nd week of Oct for Va.But there are lots of variables that make the rut sometimes start a bit early or late.
Make a couple scrapes now,just stay scent free.Make sure you have a licking branch but do not break or twist up the limb this early.Also do not use a strong urine lure like dominant buck lure or doe in heat.It is just way too early for this and deer will react by staying away.
I use only my own urine for my mock scrapes and if you have never tried it you are missing out.Check out some of my pics.All deer at scrapes are smelling my urine and lots of deer pee in the scrape as well.Come rut time they take an 18" scrape and tear it up 5' around...

http://community.webshots.com/user/pocomoke102
Old 08-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Making mock scrapes

I make scrapes in the early summer on trails to get a feel for the size of deer that are using the trail (large or small body deer). I begin to make them in earnest in funnels and saddles the last week of October. I have had 2 scrapes that have been used all summer and through the bow season.