Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone Started Making Mock Scrapes Yet? >

Anyone Started Making Mock Scrapes Yet?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone Started Making Mock Scrapes Yet?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone Started Making Mock Scrapes Yet?

I'm in central IL and I know it's a little early, but I really want to try and make some scrap lines this year. Is it to early to start or can I get going this weekend???
Old 09-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone Started Making Mock Scrapes Yet?

I personally think its too early.Unusual and untimely scrapes may put the deer on alert and if you are in the woods you are probably leaving some scent or disturbance that the deer on alert may pick up on. When it is the right time those mock scrapes will distract the deer enough so that they may not pick up on those disturbances.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

about the 3rd week in OCT would be a good time to start
Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Its too early. I start around Oct 20th every year and I have results...
Old 09-07-2007, 06:04 AM

I've research this on and off for a year now. This will be my first year trying it. With that said, many pro hunters (Scott Bestel, Bill Winkle, Pat Reeve) all start their mock scrapes early (as much as August) to get the local deer accustom to the "New Guy". This way you are training your deer to visit this/these mock scrapes you created.

I'm going to camp next week to make a few in hopes to bag a buck in early Oct.

If your still not sure, create one early and watch its progress and then make one later on, maybe even using a different brand scent to give an illusion of different bucks roaming your area, this should excite/piss off a few local bucks in the area. LOL.

Jimo also, Rod.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:13 PM
DMP

I dont see any reason why you cant start now. We are already seeing scrapes here in SC and those of you north of us should be seeing them I would think seeing that it gets colder there earlier than it does here. Another reason why I think early is better, i want to start as soon as the deer do so that they dont get set on their own scrapes but rather the ones I want them to use. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know if you guys have heard of HAWGS synthetic scents but they work well you can find it on line you can make scrapes with it all times of year it comes with a video to show when and where times it is good stuff , the scrapes make other deer come to it to find the new deer in the area look it up and try it out works great here in wva good luck too all of ya
Old 09-11-2007, 01:24 PM

i made a mock scrape on september 1st using a dripper and pure buck scent. i wouldnt put anything estrous near it this early.

i checked the camera onit yesterday and had 3 does and 2 small bucks check it so far.