Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Right Move?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Right Move?

I went bowhunting last night and was sitting in a tree stand I had not used so far this season in IL. The stand faces west overlooking a rolling hay field with a picked cornfield about 100 yards away to my left. The bedding areas are to my right and directly behind me. The wind was blowing almost directly out of the north at approx. 10 mph. At about 6PM, I saw three does out at the edge of thecornfield to my left approx. 100 yards. Since shooting hours were almost over, I decided to get out of my stand and try a stalk since the lay of the land would allow me to get closer without being seen and there was a large group of hay bales pretty much in between us. When I got to the bottom of my stand, two does and a small buck appeared from the depression/draw in front of me but out of bow range. They proceeded to join the other deer. When they made it up the hill and out of sight, I started to walk up the hill slowly becasue I was not sure where they were. When I got to the top a saw several deer, maybe 10, walking to the East behind the hay bales. I thought I was good to go and started to move forward when two more deer appeared from behind another hay bale. They saw me and I hunkered down and they just stared trying to figure out what I was from about 25 yards or so. They finally gave up and followed the rest of the deer and I started to walk behind the bales thinking I would come up on the group at about 20 yards and have my pick. Well, I thought wrong as they must have finally winded me and took offf running. I stopped the group with a grunt call and two started to walk back briefly before ambling off.

WasI wrong to have to have tried the stalk, especially with the wind? Would anyone else have tried to make something happen? I really think this stand is going to be more of a gun stand due the distances. Sorry for being long winded but I am sort of doubting myself for doing it.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Right Move?

Wow, that is a great story. I would have gotten caught getting out of my stand at 100yds (I carry to much "stuff"). If light was running out and it didn't look like any where coming into shooting I say go ahead and stalk it adds more adventure to the evening which makes it worth while, and if you had gotten one you have more bragging rights. Sounds like you did better then 90% of hunters today on stalking anyway.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Been there. I too probably woulda got caught just coming down. The only drawback to that is that you'll want to probably avoid that stand for at least a couple days now. You don't want the deer patterning you and if you get caught again, especially in the next 48 to 72 hours, you may have that spot wrecked for quite awhile. Fun stuff though, isn't it?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

you did your best, got really close at that! Most hunters are not willing to be mobile like that. You were in a feild...deer get busted out of fields quite often, they will not think twice. Dont worry about it, they still do not know where your stand is.

When it is windy stalking is better according to my thinking. 1) you can relyably use it and 2) covers some sound and movement
Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

I personally never try to Elmer Fudd it with a bow but that is just me.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:42 PM

Hey you never know!! I have killed some deer by trying some crazy stuff. Most of the time they dont work but hey sometimes they do and sometimes that is all it takes to keep me trying different things. I say keep it up!!!