Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CWD in MD?

Old 10-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Spike

Default CWD in MD?

Well this week I am up at the Walter Reed Army Hospital Forest Glenn annex in Silver Springs, MD. I think it is Montgomery County. At the morning break in the presentations I was standing inside the back door looking out when I saw a 4x4 with brow tines buck walk out of the wood line. I keep watching from the window and he has 2 does with him. The buck was small, looked rather young. As I watched him I thought to myself "he looks pretty mangy in the hind quarters". His fur was raggedy and his legs looked like skin and bones. His front quarters were proportioned correctly and his fur was shiny up there. As he walked away it looked like he had trouble using his back legs. At first I thought he maybe had been hit by a car. When the does followed they had the same appearance as the buck even with the same jerky walking. The area I saw this in is mostly residential suburbs bordering the city (DC). Could this be CWD or some urban underfed deer? I did a picture search for CWD and they did look like some of the deer that had CWD. I tried to find out if the annex being a military post had a wildlife steward, I know we had them at Carson when I was there but no one had an answer. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I couldn't take pictures because it is a military installation. Should I send an email to the MD wildlife division?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: CWD in MD?

ORIGINAL: JimB
Should I send an email to the MD wildlife division?
Without anything other than your description, nothing they can do.