Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

memories of a 30/30

Old 10-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default memories of a 30/30

Here I am alone in the house today. 20 yr old son out working 16 yr old daughter off with friends wife gone on a trip. So I decide to cleaned my Marlin 30/30 as I am headed out to the range this week to sight in the new Hornady ammo.
My father gave me this gun new when I was 16, now 44. Many times I have thought about buying a newer gun ,larger caliber, different action. So I sat there looking at the scratched , worn stock and the next thing you know I'm headed down memory lane. I have taken a number of deer with this rifle. None ever had the chance to complain about being shot with a marginal caliber. But what is special about it, is the scratches tell a story. A story of my son ( who is my best hunting partner) taking his first deer with this old 30/30. Put 2 shots thru the heart. The first rifle my wife ever shot. All the cold Maine winter days I took this rifle out and it never failed me. There are an ocean of stories surrounding this rifle. Just looking at it brighten my day.
So as you look at your old rifle do you see an old rifle or do you see a life time of priceless memories.
Let me leave you with one of my important philosophies on life." The only people that truly matter are the ones who will be standing around the box when they bury you."

Old 10-21-2007, 02:47 PM

Default RE: memories of a 30/30

I hear ya man. Although your gun has a little more wear and tear on it being that old, my 30-06 is 5 years old and loaded w/ memories. Probably some like yours. I can visualize every shot made on a deer w/ that gun. And w/ the good lord on my sideI hope to make ALOT more memories with it.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've had my old Rem .270 for about 33 years and while I could buy a new gun if I wanted to, I don't see the need to. I've replaced the scope a few times, always for improvement.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

My old gun is a glenfield model 10 single shot .22 rifle.
I have had since I was 10 years ole.
I am 48 now.
I've got tons ofmemories useing this rifle.
It was schrached and rusted from sitting in an out shed for about 20 years.
I took it to gunsmithing school and restored it to new condiction.
Except needing a front sight it looks as good or better than new.
I have put 1000's of rounds through it.

I hope to pass it down to my youngest son he will be 14 years old Jan 12, 2008

What freedom I enjoyed whil I was 10 years old with thid rifle.
I was Daniel Boon and Davie Crokett when I was shooting at squirrels.
I even had chances to shoot deer with it, but didn't think it was right to.
Any way thank you for this post .
I took me back to fall 1970 again.

jrbsr ( Johnny Ray Beane Sr )
Old 10-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Mine is a Stevens shotgun my dad got me for Christmas 27 years ago. It has 2 barrels, and I still use it today for clay shooting.