Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Close shot

Old 10-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Close shot

I am not an expert on blaistics and I might be totally wrong here so if I am dont yell at me too much. MY common sense look at this would be as follows.
If you picture a laser straight line coming out of your scope and the barrel is an inch or two below. When the projectile leaves your gun it will initially be below the line of your cross hairs. The bullet will at one point cross this line and travel above it for a distance and at some point will cross the line again as it begins to drop off. Now depending on what type of round and the speed of that round would obviously play a huge roll in all of this. So in my mind there will be two points (one close and one further away) in which the bullet will be dead on.
Does this make sense to any one else or am I an idiot.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Loanshark - if you're a relative rookie as you say, why the heck are you taking a low percentage shot that obviously (based on your own experience) is difficult to make?

Shoot the heart/lungs.

Second: if you really want to make the shot you're asking about, you need to go to the range and practice shooting at the various distances and find out for yourself. Anything else is irresponsible, imho.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:35 PM

Zollo, I appreciate your advice and I understand the ethics of a humane kill. I have been hunting for about 4 seasons, a week or so each year. I have shot a 10 pt and a few does, My reference to being a rookie is my ignorance about ballistics and I was asking for help from the more expierenced hunters on this forum. Whether I aimfor the head, neck or lungs, I am interested to know how a round reacts when it leaves the barrel. I do not get to practice shooting because where I live, Fl. Keys, you may not discharge a gun. The shot I reference was the last shot I took. Believe me I will practice that shot on Saturday. In any case I do appreciate your comments and will heed your advice.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Loanshark

Zollo, I appreciate your advice and I understand the ethics of a humane kill. I have been hunting for about 4 seasons, a week or so each year. I have shot a 10 pt and a few does, My reference to being a rookie is my ignorance about ballistics and I was asking for help from the more expierenced hunters on this forum. Whether I aimfor the head, neck or lungs, I am interested to know how a round reacts when it leaves the barrel. I do not get to practice shooting because where I live, Fl. Keys, you may not discharge a gun. The shot I reference was the last shot I took. Believe me I will practice that shot on Saturday. In any case I do appreciate your comments and will heed your advice.
Sorry if I came on too strong. I do think, though, that there's no substitute for practice when you're trying to figure out where you're shot will go at various distances. Good luck!