Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Close shot

Old 10-08-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Close shot

I posted this on Tikka 30-06 post.

I have missed a head shot at very close range as well. I am a relative rookie. I have made a head shot at about 70 yds and my gun is sighted in at 25/100 yds.(Also a 30-06). Can you explain to me the very close shot because I have completely confused myself over analysizing the shot. Thanks for input.
[align=right]
[/align][align=right][/align]
Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Close shot

My guess is that you pulled the shot.. You don't have a lot of room for error on a deer head.. I used to be a big proponet of head shots, but got to the point where I was afraid I might shoot a jaw off.. Switched to neck shots.. If they have thier head up, you have a lot of room for leeway on trajectory.. So if your1 or 2 inches high it won't matter..
Old 10-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot for the lungs!! They're vitals are bigger then any head or neck shot you will ever have. I just don't get it why people do this! Your not wasteing meat if your behind the shoulder like you would be if you were neck shooting, thats a good roast right there!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:09 PM

Headshot? I have shot lots of deer with rifles (browning .260 A bolt) put it in the kitchen and they are not going anywhere and no wasted meat. Trying to shoot a deer in the head has never even occured to me.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

troll
Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot 95% of my deer in the neck and its a great place to shoot one . Shot one last sunday during missouris urban portion at 238 yards dropped like a rock. each to thier own but I like it.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:38 AM

Thanks guys for your input but nevertheless my question is on the very close shot, through a scope, what adjustments need to be made? Will the shot be higher than your cross hairs or lower. As I mentioned earlier I have knocked my self out trying to figure this out. I have no opportunities to go out and shoot till I go to our camp on Friday. Shooting 101. Whether I shoot for the head, neck or lungs, how is the bullet flying at a very close range. Thanks again to all for your thoughts.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Look at the distance between the center of your scope and the barrel. When the bullet leaves the barrel, it is that far below what you are looking at through the crosshairs. Whatever range you have your gun zeroed at, between the gun and that distance, the bullet is belowwhat your crosshairs are onrising towardsthat zeroed range. At very close range your bullet could be an inch and a half low which would take you out of a brain sized target. Naturally the position of the deer's head would determine what the bulletwill strike. From the side thebrain cavity isbetween the eye and the earand about 1 3/4" highby 2 3/4" long. That is your target so holding crosshairs 1/2" above it's hairline should be the medicine for very close range. Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:35 AM

drs 1961 you are the man. That was exactly what I was asking for and the conclusion that had I came up with just not sure. Someone had said I'd be high but I kept coming up with low. Thanks again and have great season hunting
Old 10-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quick Reply: Close shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.