Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How close is to close to a roosted bird? >

How close is to close to a roosted bird?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How close is to close to a roosted bird?

Old 05-05-2004, 09:59 AM

Default How close is to close to a roosted bird?

Alright the birds are with Hens on the roost and there is seriously 40 yards between the Tom and the hens. I have the roost tree's of three different groups of birds pinned down but the Toms fly down shut up and go to the hens I cant call them to me. Could be my calling as well
If I go out really early. Birds start gobbling at 6:00 and fly down between 6:20 and 6:40. So if I get out in pitch blackness how close can I get to these birds. I have been setting up close enough to see one bird (usually a hen) on the roost and see all the birds fly down. Im thinking a breading pair of decoys in the living room might get the Tom to come in close.

What do you think?
So far all I had was a jake come in and I dont want to shoot a jake
Old 05-05-2004, 10:19 AM

Default RE: How close is to close to a roosted bird?

I shoot for under 100 yds. I think anything closer than 60 is too close. Just don't get busted.

I've heard of guys scattering the hens off the roost. That kind of bold maneuver is outside of my comfort zone...

Hal
Old 05-05-2004, 10:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have gotten in bewteen hens and a Tom a few times. Once with success.

My best advice is - do you know wehre this birds likes to fly down too? That is where I would sneaks too very early and then say nothing.

That is IMO - Ninja turkey hunting. He flies down - Bang!

I have also scattered hens with limited success. It can cause the Tom to fly if he is roosted too close.

JW
Old 05-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: JW!

I have gotten in bewteen hens and a Tom a few times. Once with success.

My best advice is - do you know wehre this birds likes to fly down too? That is where I would sneaks too very early and then say nothing.

That is IMO - Ninja turkey hunting. He flies down - Bang!

I have also scattered hens with limited success. It can cause the Tom to fly if he is roosted too close.

JW

Ambush from hell! I like it... I do it... it works!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've gotten as close as 20 yards.

If you have that many birds, scatter them the night before...that way Old Tom is lonely in the morning. When he gobbles, set up close---about 50 yards. More times than not, he'll fly right into your lap, so have the gun ready
Old 05-05-2004, 12:26 PM

if you know exactly where they fly down too and where they want to go after get there around 430 to 5 and wait dont make a sound just let them move toward you i know it is tempting to call but dont. i have done this on a few birds that had hens or just old birds i would set up 20 yards or so from them i knew where they wanted to fly down to and just waited. one was last year 23 lb 11 15/16 beard and impressive 1 7/8 spurs he knew what it was all about and i just had to change my game plan it worked.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:01 PM

Any thoughts on the breading pair of decoys? Or would decoys at such a close range be a poor choice?

Someone please enlighten me on how to scatter the hens either in the evening or morning.

One spot I have for sure is perfect for the Ninja aproach and I will try it there.

The other two spots bit have birds roosting against the river. One I will be going to tomorrow and using waders to cross up stream of the birds and then working my way down to the landing zone. Most of the time they land on this side of the river. . Wahoo a mile walk in 5mm waders at 4:30 am. After crossing the river I will take the waders off and put on my boots.

The other river spot is a toss up when the tom was alone he landed on my side. ( pre season scouting) today with hens they landed on the other side and of course he followed. This is a harder spot to work. Maybe a flydown inpersination and a decoy?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The key for me here is not neccassarily how close I get to the roost but where they hit the ground!!More often times than not birds that have not been harrassed will roost in the same area and hit the ground in the same area off the roost.Ive seen gobblers pitch straight down and others glide a 1/4 mile or more to another field or to another roost site that had hens in it.If there pitching straight down use the cover of darkness to your advantage and get set-up early.Set-up within 20 yards or less of that fly-down area and you should be in luck.Make sure your camo'd well as sometimes hens will hit the ground first and you dont want them screwing things up before he leaves the limb.You already mentioned that you know pretty close the time they leave the roost so obviously be ready gun close to cheek!!Go getem Brandon!!!