Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

highlights of the season

Old 01-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default highlights of the season

let's hear some of the high points of this deer season, or maybe some of the not so high points.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: highlights of the season

I shot a deer
Old 01-07-2003, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

This season has been high and low for me. The first Sat. of the season I killed a 16 inch inside spread and about 14 tall heavy 10 point. I then had to miss a few days because I was selected to officiate 2 Regional and 1 State Football games. Then I woke up one morning and could barely move, I went on to work but by about 9:00 I had to leave and go to the Dr.. It turns out I have 2 bulging discs in my lower back. I was told to stay out of the woods so I missed the last 3 weeks of hunting season. I still can not feel my thighs, it as if they are asleep. The Dr. is giving them 2 more weeks and then he is going to operate to try and save the nerves.

Old 01-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, the not so high light...I missed a nice mature buck as I saw him coming out of a swamp as I was on my way to my treestand during M/L season. This deer quartered away thru some heavy alders (are there any other kind) about 35 yds. No evidence at the site that he was hit as I looked for almost three hours. The following morning there was blood 150 yds from where I shot, right under my treestand. Still no blood trail and I never saw that deer again...still lose sleep knowing that I was responsible for what happened to that buck...Now the high light...Hunting with my three sons as we do each and every year. They are all in their 30's now but we always get together during deer season. From early (NH) Bow season, into M/L and finally Firearm. It just don't get any better than.....and to me, that's what it's all about!

Old 01-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

start with the not so high points...hmmm only one i can think of my trips were all cancle and i only got to hunt one day because of the high point....hig point...tagged out the first day taking my 3rd doe..a nice old fat one and then about an hour later dropping my first buck!! a litte 6pt basket rack but a buck..my first..so he stand up there higher then the beatty if u ask me! lol...i had a great first day but it wasnt so great only having one doe tag left for the county i live in and dont hunt...i got the tag for a junior hunt in october but the nuts were bad in the area we hunt and we didnt boter scouting so we wasted the day we had to hunt in that hunt....but i got my first double in a year..and in a day...i can call it a good year...my best...