Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Just highlights of pa meeting >

Just highlights of pa meeting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Just highlights of pa meeting

Old 01-23-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Just highlights of pa meeting

I'm just going to try and give some bullets on issues hunters spoke to at the PGC meeting in Hbg.

* Against concurrent seasons and excessive doe tags.

*one processor checked by the hunter said 49% of the antlerless brought in were BB

* Big woods, Wharton. Hunters going days without seeing any deer

* Southern pa, farmer. lack of deer seen and harvested.

* 75% (my guess) of speakers said the 1.6 million deer figure is a JOKE. It is not defendable as being 20% larger than when Alt took over. No hunter nor speaker defended the 1.6 million as credible.

* taxidermist saying business is off by 50%

*Bedford Pa survey 500 hunters 65% feel archery should be shortened.
89% said they do not agree with HR.
92% said they saw fewer bucks

*potter co, youth hunters. Discouraged at no sightings. Dismal hunt.

* Alts plan was a joke, he did not deliver what was promised.

* (many) camp owners reported camps closing or closed

* clinton co. camp large family, Home Lebanon. hunted early ml, rifle and late ml and they saw 3 deer in 2g. He related walking in 1.5 miles to not see anything.

* 2G &4c too many deer killed, his perception is that increased competition has increased hunter frustration, bad behavior, and accidents. does not like concurrent seasons

* Game news propoganda rag

* doe hunting only on private lands, not public in 4d

* PGC food plots on sgl 33 good, DCNR's nonexistant food plots in state forest no-good. 4D

*more hunter surveys

* a WCO told hunters he did not see a single deer while driving and checking hunters the first day (alive)

* hunters said the PGC should improve habitat

* dcnr park ranger said he drove (related to Union Co hunter in Bald Eagle SF) 100 miles and did not see a deer. Park ranger says he would more likely see a bear there than a deer.

* hunters conveyed the message that it is not a matter of not walking or hard hunting. Or lack of scouting. Its much more widespread than that.

*spoke of 2005 boycott of licenses

*spoke of not buying doe tags

* spoke of discouraged youth

* Small game is a joke, and big game is geting there...

* deer season "worse than expected"

* Commissioners need to be replaced, they are not doing a good job.

* large WMU's are bad. (many)

*Audubon and Habitat alliance are in a political power grab and hunters do not appreciate thier rhetoric

* Union Co camp, since 2000 no member has seen a buck. Speigelmyer camp (rod &gun)

* Alt missed the point. hunters DO want to see some deer. the anticipation of seeing one and it could be a buck are IMPORTANT

* WMU's suk

* PGC too far over the edge

*PGC destroying traditions

* herd down, down, down

* PGC needs to cut back on seasons

* go back to basics

*2G & 4d a joke, Audubon a joke

*PGC should PUBLISH what they think the estimated pa predator kill is

* herd estimtions not accurate

*1.6 million a joke, not credible.

*Audubon using deer to futher thier political agenda

* Hunters told LAST YEAR of these same problems

* Too high doe tags

* 200 mile trip to camp, now does not show any deer spotted

* archers being able to take bucks, but early ML not is unfair.
archers allowed to take buck before breeding is counter to PGC doctrine
of taking does early and buck later. 15 counties the archers took 30% or more of the buck before bredding is done.

* PGC should share info on computer model

* hunters adressed regeneration and habitat issues as not the ONLY issue our forests face.

*Projections from last year, about specific WMU's was waaaay off. Tag allotments were way off from reality.

* pa is not texas, we have different areas which require different solutions. One size all is not working.

* Audubons report says PGC official particpated, BUT DO NOT WANT TO BE NAMED. Who were they?

* Alt is Pa's Benedict Arnold

* WHO are the members of Pa Habitat Alliance?

This is not all comments, just those on deer issue. And the comments by the paid foresters, and Pa farm bureau lobbyists and timber lobbyists can be summed up as.... Blah blah ecosystem, blah blah timber sales, blah, blah neotropical birds, blahty blah, politics etc... etc... etc...

Nothing new from thier side...
Old 01-23-2005, 08:05 PM

Default RE: Just highlights of pa meeting

Sounds like an unbiased report. Thanks chick.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:20 PM

I hope that other States, such as my home state of NY, are watching and learning from what happened in PA.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm on both sides of the fence here. Its interesting to read this. Nice work chickory.

I do however take offense to the comments about shortened archery and not being allowed to take a buck. If this were done, me, along with countless thousands of other archers would not hunt at all. I have no qualms with the gun hunters. They do serve a vital purpose in our deer management. There are too many gun only hunters who have something out for us bowhunters. As for the earlier muzzleloader season, get rid of it. We never had it before and by the looks of things, its only compounding the herd reduction problem. The youth hunt is a good idea. We need that type of hunt to further stimulate the introduction of new hunters into this depleating number.

Sorry, but taking aim at us bowhunters is not cool. I do gun hunt, its limited, but I usually take the gun for a walk each year. I don't have anything against it. But, to those taking aim at just the bowhunters are usually people who have never tried bowhunting and their tru ignorace shines through with comments like that.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:09 AM

2G &4c too many deer killed, his perception is that increased competition has increased hunter frustration, bad behavior, and accidents.
I had a feeling this would happen. Probably contributes to "mistaken buck kills".

There are too many gun only hunters who have something out for us bowhunters. As for the earlier muzzleloader season, get rid of it. We never had it before
So Muzzy, you as a bowhunter, have something out for us ML's?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:31 AM

Sounds like an unbiased report.
Give me a break, unbiased... hogwash.

I've read two other reports from the meeting. They told other sides of the arguements where as chickory only seems to have one side to tell.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:33 AM

What happened to the shotgun/rifle issue too?? Thought there was some high powered representative that was going to speak on that?? I have not seen any mention of it on any report yet.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:13 AM

T in Pa 1/23 was for hunters input , 1/24 is for legislators etc. to have say that is when Boscola is speaking.
I spoke yesterday! and was one that suggested shortening archery season back to 4 weeks and have archers and ML earn a buck by harvesting a doe first!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:32 AM

Earn a buck won't work in PA. There's simply too many hunters.

Quick Reply: Just highlights of pa meeting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.