Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Wind

Old 08-24-2007, 05:15 AM
Spike

Default The Wind

We all know that wind plays a major role in how many deer you will see during a day.I have always heard you want the wind in your face that way the scent travels the opposite way you are facing. What is the best way to determine where to set up? I would like to set up my stand a few days before I hunt so it would be nice if I could know in advance which way the wind will be coming from. I am probably dreaming but maybe some of you older "bucks" can give some tips/hints.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The Wind

The best bet is to have several stands that you can hunt, and even if the wind is not right for your favorite stand, then don't hunt there. Be sure to take a compass and note the wind directions that apply for each stand. Check the Weather Channel before you leave the house and double check when you leave your truck.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

For most of the country, the wind usually comes out of the W/NW.
Hang your stand where you expect to see deer, better yet, where you can shoot a deer.
Make certain the wind is in your favor when you get setup.

Ideally, that would be have the wind blowing from the deer to you.

You should alsobe aware of wind direction before entering the woods.
Your local weather forecast can certainly help.

Good Luck.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

when i set up stands i dont set up for different wind directions, but where the deer will come out at, or where i will see and get a shot at most deer. Then, to decide where i go depends on the wind. You cant really ever know what way the wind is going to be blowing untill the night before or that morning. I would just hang your stand where you will see deer, and then pray hard that the wind is in your favor!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where I hunt the wind is usually out of the North/northwest so my stand placements are into the wind. I have a couple of real hotspots where I have set up secondary stands so if the wind shifts from the south or the east I'm still ok. I check the wind when I get to my hunting area in the morning so that I know which stand, as well as which way I will travel to my stand that morning.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thnk that pretty well covers it. And of course even once on stand you might have the wind turn around and bust ya. But that's huntin'.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:44 AM

I'd recommend using talc powder to check the wind randomly, if you don't already.
Something like https://shop.primos.com/p-521-wind-checker.aspx

Although I pick mine up from Walmart. Windicator, made by Hunter's Specialties (Cost $2.88) -- nearly half the price of Primos brand($4.99). Talc powder is talc powder so don't overpay if you choose to try it out.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:45 AM
Spike

I picked up a wind direction finder (talc) yesterday. I guess that will have to do. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:25 AM

You could always start smoking and check that way too... lol...

Down here in South Texas the wind is usually some variation of SouthEast.