Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

taking youth, climber?

Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 AM
OGW

Default RE: taking youth, climber?

ORIGINAL: Pparrish

That will be solely up to you and your child.
Every child is different.
If your child agrees that he can do it, take him out and practicewith the climber only getting a few feet off the ground. Let him set the pace and height, you hunt according to his comfort.

However, I agree that a ladder stand for the child would be be a better choice. Two man ladder stand will give you complete control of what the child is doing.
I agree...Much more easy to control the situation and to add the most safety.
Also...If He's off the ground...He's in a Full Body Safety Harness!!!!!
Lead by Example...Safety First!
I can see however the time spent "Practicing" with a climber in a controlled situation, low to the ground, some quality time could be had with your Son. You could find out what he's capable of and teach him the correct way to do things. Then when He's older both of you will be confident of the Safety Factor needed when climbing to ensure future hunts together.
Honestly...One of my fondest memories when younger is when I was able to help my Father build a natural ground blind. It was the same kind of fun as building a Fort and I got to hunt with my Dad. Looking back I can see how safe that was and I learned alot...(When I was awake)